cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can two users access their own Dropbox accounts on the same macOS laptop?

How can two users access their own Dropbox accounts on the same macOS laptop?

GnsGnn
Helpful | Level 5

I need to set up a Macbook to work with multiple accounts. Two people use the laptop, they have separate admin accounts on the machine.
Also the two people have 2 indipendent Dropbox Plus accounts. I need each one to be able to use their own dropbox account when loggin in on the laptop.

Is this possible? Is this straighforward? Are there any cautionary steps to take? Do each user need to disconnect from his Dropbox account before handing the machine to the other person?

These people have 2 separate accounts on MacOs and they don't know each other's password for accessing their user on the laptop

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @GnsGnn, thanks for posting on the Community and I hope you’re doing well. 

What you describe is only possible if the two people that need to use the laptop have their own user profiles on it, indeed. 

Since they’ll need their own password to access their user profile, their local Dropbox files will be totally safe and inaccessible by the other person. They’ll have to log out of their user profile on the Mac device though each time they're done using the laptop (they can leave their Dropbox account as is, without signing out of the desktop app though).

Hope this clarifies things, but let me know if you need something else.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @GnsGnn, thanks for posting on the Community and I hope you’re doing well. 

What you describe is only possible if the two people that need to use the laptop have their own user profiles on it, indeed. 

Since they’ll need their own password to access their user profile, their local Dropbox files will be totally safe and inaccessible by the other person. They’ll have to log out of their user profile on the Mac device though each time they're done using the laptop (they can leave their Dropbox account as is, without signing out of the desktop app though).

Hope this clarifies things, but let me know if you need something else.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

GnsGnn
Helpful | Level 5

Ok so, I need one more clarification. The second user profile on MacOs needs still to be created. When I will create a new profile for the second user, do I have to install the dropbox app for the new user? Or I will find it there, just logged out, And I can then login with my dropbox account and specify a location for the second dropbox folder?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Since this is a separate user profile, you’ll most likely need to install and set up the Dropbox desktop app anew there. After that, the user can sign in with their Dropbox credentials, as usual.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    GnsGnn Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?