cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to deactivate smart sync

How to deactivate smart sync

jxrgen
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, is there any way to completly deactivate the smart sync "feature"?

Since that was introduced the dropbox service became really messy. I use selective sync a lot, now I have always I add new files activate for all new files to have them offline available. As I don't want to use smart sync at all and always have my files offline available I just want to deactivate that function completely but it seems that there is no setting in the settings.

(And what is this annoying "Labels" thing, is it even a problem to get a forum running without annoying ppl with useless features?)

19 Replies 19

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @jxrgen, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

To disable this feature, first you need to make sure that all your files are switched to 'available offline'

Once you've right clicked on the files and chosen 'make available offline' for everything, you should be able to disable the Dropbox system extension.

Let me know how it goes!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jxrgen
Helpful | Level 6

OK, so from what you are saying is that I have to deactivate the system extension to deactivate the smart sync.

1) Does that affect the dropbox sync in general?

2) Does that affect the selective sync?

2) Do I have to do this procedure on every single system I use my dropbox account?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @jxrgen, disabling the Dropbox system extension, will just no longer allow you to use the 'make online-only' feature.

Syncing will otherwise not be affected, nor will you need to do this every time you use Dropbox.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

kyle88204
Helpful | Level 5

I want all files available offline on my computer all the time with out having to right click and click Make available offline. Doing this for every folder and file I add is ridiculous.   This is something new that files aren't stored locally by default.  I wish I never did this recent update. 

jxrgen
Helpful | Level 6

I opened a thread recently because of the same thing ... yes it's annoying. It should be possible by deactivating the system extension manually somehow.

In the thread a person from dropbox explained to me how, didn't have time to check it till now because you gotta make sure to have all files stored when doing this ...

kyle88204
Helpful | Level 5

Hello, the Dropbox system extension option is not listed under my general tab.  I really want to disable this so all my files are always available offline on my computer.

Thank you

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Can you please send us a screenshot of the options you see, Kyle?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

jxrgen
Helpful | Level 6

I deactivated the system extension in the online mask but it did not change anything.

... at least on my macOS Ventura 13.1

Need more support?