cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculate all folder sizes

Calculate all folder sizes

invisiblehelmet
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do I calculate the size of multiple folders at once?

I'm trying to find the largest folders on my Dropbox, so I can delete them. I'd like to calculate the file size of all folders on my account. I can calculate the folder sizes one by one following the directions in this forum, but when I select multiple folders, the "calculate size" option is no longer available.

thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@invisiblehelmet wrote:

..., but when I select multiple folders, the "calculate size" option is no longer available.

Hi @invisiblehelmet,

Hm...🤔 strange... I just tried and and it seems working:

Screenshot_20230514_154903.png

After click on "Calculate size" the size of all folder start calculating... and next some time finishes. It calculates folder by folder sequentially, so may take some time if you have lot of files.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@invisiblehelmet wrote:

..., but when I select multiple folders, the "calculate size" option is no longer available.

Hi @invisiblehelmet,

Hm...🤔 strange... I just tried and and it seems working:

Screenshot_20230514_154903.png

After click on "Calculate size" the size of all folder start calculating... and next some time finishes. It calculates folder by folder sequentially, so may take some time if you have lot of files.

invisiblehelmet
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks! Your screenshot helped! It appears I had a few files included in my selection of folders and that made the "Calculate size" option go away. Thanks!

ScreamUser1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

There is no menu option for CALCULATE Size.

I've changed browsers.

I've cleared the cache

I've run a browser in troubleshooting mode.

I can not calculate a folder size

ScreamUser1_0-1685123310244.png

ScreamUser1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

OK.  Here is the resolution I found:

1. Size needs to be visible in the column headers. 

• Clicking on the header will only sort it or have no effect.
  • Hovering and waiting for a HAND to appear changes the click functionality of the mouse, allowing you to choose what columns are visible.

ScreamUser1_0-1685123759308.png

2. Now, Calculate Size can be found

• Once Size is visible in the column, select the folder you wish to to know about
  • Click on the ellipsis button [...] that is on the right side of that folder's row. 
  • A menu will appear that now includes Calculate Size
  • ScreamUser1_1-1685123936923.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ScreamUser1, thanks for the info. The steps to calculate the folder size are available in this article as well, if you need further assistance.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tttrue
Helpful | Level 5

sorry to respond to an older thread, but since it was on the same topic i wanted to see if anyone had any feedback.  i noticed the calculate size is no longer available for multiple folders, but is available for individual folders.  I opened a ticket with support and was told the multiple folders size is no longer available.  i wanted to see if this is truly the case and if so why such a useful feature would be removed.   we cant sync all of the folders and use explorer/finder, that isnt a valid workaround.

Rich
Super User II

@tttrue wrote:

i wanted to see if this is truly the case ...

Yes, it appears that's the case.

There is a workaround, though it would require you to add another level to your folder structure. When you calculate the size of a folder, all subfolders within will also display their size.

Create a new folder at the top of your Dropbox and move all other folders into it. When you then calculate the size of that new folder, you'll see the size of all the subfolders within it when you navigate into that folder.

I didn't test this with all of my data, but I did check the size of a large (50GB, 864 subfolders) folder at the top of my Dropbox, and every subfolder within had the size displayed.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @tttrue,

As seems every consecutive redesign of either application or website is confirmation that Dropbox does only restrictions the users 🤷 unfortunately. The issue is that "Calculate size" entry is completely stripped out of top ellipsis menu (not just for multi-selection, but at all). Bad design decision! The only place where you were being able initiate such an action (size of multiple folder calculation) was there, but it's no more. That's it.

Andywinter
Helpful | Level 5

I imagine Dropbox doesn't want people to know the size of their folders because that would make it easy to delete larger ones to save space - when of course they want us to buy MORE space.  Pure commercial decision.....

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jacob21 New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    sysadminz New member | Level 2
    Andywinter Helpful | Level 5
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?