cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox full because of shared folder

Dropbox full because of shared folder

Michele A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi, i have a dropbox account and the free space that i have is full because of the files inside the shared folder that i have with some friends.
Is there a way to avoid that the shared folder that uses the free space of my account without cancelling those folder?
Because i have no more space and i haven't uploaded any files

Excuse me for my english but i found problem on trying to traduce this message from my language

132 Replies 132

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Puneet,

Thanks for all the detailed feedback (and Dave for adding-in). This is definitely a feedback/request I've brought up before based on comments here on our community and I'll be adding with this thread as well.

Thanks again and happy 2016, 

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Kazi R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi,

I am with dropbox business. I shared a folder with our remote team. How to I increase storage capacity of that folder ? Dropbox gave default 2GB for that shared folder. I want to give 500 GB for that.

Thanks

Kazi

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Kazi R. : Db do NOT supply space per shared folder at all.

It sounds like you have shared a folder with a FREE (3GB) account.

Each account sharing access to a folder, must have enough room to store the content of the folder into their own dropbox, Dropbox work on how much content you have, not where it came from.

Andrew R.34
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It simply makes no sense that a folder someone shares with you counts towards your quota. It's their folder, their quota. Defeats the purpose of shared folders. Still, I have 45 GB of free storage on OneDrive. I'll just get my mates who shared their folder with me to go to OneDrive too. OneDrive isn't retarded like DB with the way their shared folders work.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

It simply makes no sense that a folder someone shares with you counts towards your quota

It does. Its perfectly sensible. It is to stop people stacking accounts and because every single device costs money. Dropbox doesn't just pay for MB of storage but every time your device connects to and from its servers. So more shares = more cost. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Timothy D.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Lol *sigh*

+1 for Adam

-1 for Dave

Timothy D.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm screwed.  Never even used any of these folders.

></p>

Adam C.36
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Mark Mc

But this is not how they charge for the service - DB charges by space, not by access or downloads. I can also share a link to a file or folder (from a free account) to give people access, who don't even need a DB account to download the files- no bandwidth or access charges for them!

So, to repeat what @Andrew R said, 'it simply makes no sense' to charge this way, and it places really quite severe limits on what would otherwise be a useful service.

I only keep free 5.25GB account for when people want to share stuff with me on DropBox (unfortunately, too often!). I have to constantly decide which shares to remove in order to let me save files and update files. This need to manage who has shared their space with me sometimes leads to to remove shared folders before I'm really done with them, and then ask for a new share when I come back to that project. It just sucks.

David N.32
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'll chime in here. Just ran into the quota brick wall myself from other folks shared folders. I guess it has forced me to understand more of how dropbox works.  I have removed all the shares, but I guess I will not be able to contribute to any shares that are individually over my quota. Pretty wacko and makes dropbox fairly unusable.

They charge by space - but charge hundreds of time for the same space. Not bad for them if they can get away with it.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Adam - then pay for an upgrade or use a different service. Dropbox are quite within their rights to restrict the service however they like to free users. 

I'll use an analogy Ive used before... cars. A Dacia and a Porsche do exactly the same thing. Yet one charges for 'simple' features like electric windows and central locking. One is also 10x the price. Nobody tells Porsche they should reduce the prices as they can buy exactly the same for less. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

User 1556073 Explorer | Level 4
    Richard P. Super User alumni
    Ben L.26 New member | Level 2
    Andreas G.17 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?