cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erroneous "full" message

Erroneous "full" message

John McCormick
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm getting "Dropbox full" message in our account when we're only using about 1 GB of our 2.75 GB space allocation.  I'm not using backups and synchronisation is working for some people in our account but not others.  What should I do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

So this comes back to what we said at the very start. Key things...

Everybody can have different quota levels. The minimum is 2gb but you can gain more via referrals etc. - you obviously have as you have 2.75gb of space. Others may have more, or less. Quotas are done at account level (i.e. linked to an email log on) so every persons could be different. 

In terms of the space and how it is used..... If you have 2.5gb of space and she, for example, has 2gb of space every single thing in that Dropbox directory uses that quota. So if your folder is 500mb (rounded for simplicity!) you all need 500mb of space in Dropbox to store it. 

If you had 1.75gb of other things in Dropbox and the shared folder of 500mb you'd be OK and syncing fine 'cause you'd end up with a total in your account of 2.25gb leaving 0.25gb (250mb) free. However, if your colleague had 1.75gb of files and the 500mb share they'd be over quota and syncing wouldnt happen 'cause there total would again be 2.25gb BUT that is actually 250mb over their limit. 

The other key part here is that you only see what is in the shared folders. So anything else they have in their account uses up their quota BUT you cannot see. Same for you. Anything that you put in Dropbox that is not in the shared folder nobody else can see but you, but, crucially, does use up your quota. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @John McCormick 

What exactly do you mean 'its working for some in our account and not others' ?

Are you using 1 log on between multiple people or different ones?

What does www.dropbox.com/account/plan show?

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

John McCormick
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi, we have multiple logins in our account

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@John McCormick wrote:

... we're only using about 1 GB of our 2.75 GB space allocation.

we have multiple logins in our account

Based on the amount of space you have in your account (2.75GB) you have a Basic account. Basic accounts only have one user; they don't support multiple logins. The only accounts that have multiple logins are Business Team accounts.

Can you describe how you have this set up? Are you possibly referring to shared folders, with each person having their own, separate Dropbox account?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@John McCormick wrote:
Hi, we have multiple logins in our account

As @Rich said that isnt quite how Dropbox works.

suspect that you have all got multiple accounts and are using shared folders. These, however, use up the quota of everybody in them. So, if you all have different quotas, different shares or even their own files/folders in the account as well as the shares this would be why some are full and others arent. 

John McCormick
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi, thanks for info. I didn’t set it up, but we just need one account that enables multiple users to exchange files. We don’t pay anything for it, I suspect that you’re right that it’s just a basic account. How would I find out what sort of account that we have?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You can see what plan you are on at www.dropbox.com/account/plan

What I would say as well is make sure that you are all using different accounts - it is against the TOS to use one account for multiple people and Dropbox do, and have, banned accounts for that (including deleting all data) without warning. 

If you are a business I'd also STRONGLY suggest your employer IT team risk assess how they use Dropbox and how its deployed around data safety etc. and accessing accounts of people.... as without it being a Business plan they have no way of gaining access should they need it OR should an employee delete things as sabotage etc. they cannot get access. 

John McCormick
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, this is very useful and apologies for clearly not understanding everything.  My understanding is that we have the Basic plan, and all we want to do is to share files between three people in our volunteer organisation who are at different locations using the cloud as a central switching point. So, can you make it a bit clearer for me what an account is as opposed to a plan.  When I logon to Dropbox with my email address and password is that an account? If so, we have 3 separate accounts, which you said was a good thing, so three logons (accounts?) into one plan?  Do I understand that right?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @John McCormick 

Yes thats spot on 🙂

Three accounts = three log ons. 

Plan = what you pay for within that account. So, basically, it is your quota/free space. It is possible for people to have different quotas depending upon their plan status (i.e. paid or free) as well as referrals etc. 

John McCormick
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Right, I think we're getting there.  So if we have three accounts in our plan, and our plan has a total of 2.75 GB storage space and we're using 562.4 MB of this , does that mean that each of the three accounts only has 1/3 of the storage in the Dropbox folder on their machine?  Or that we have the 2.75 GB limit in our shared folder space in the cloud?  I'd assumed the latter.  If that's correct I don't understand why I can synchronise OK but my colleague can't from her machine.  Would it make any difference if she had other files or folders in her Dropbox folder on her machine?  Would that count against our limit?  But if that was the case, wouldn't those files on her machine show up in the shared folders that I can see? My next step anyway is to go to her house and have a look at her laptop setup and see if I can figure out if there's anything weird happening.  Does that sound like a reasonable next step to you?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

John McCormick Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?