cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export pictures to instagram

Export pictures to instagram

annieobject
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! I'm trying to export videos from Dropbox to Instagram. 

I choose the "open with" option and navigate to instagram, but when I click on it nothing happens. 

I don't get an error message and am not navigated to a new page. 

Is this because Dropbox is trying to export my video onto my phone and there isn't enough space for it to do so? 

If so, it would be good to at least see an error message explaining that this is what has happened.

Could you advise me on how to upload videos to Instagram from dropbox. Surely the whole point of dropbox is to store things on your phone that your phone itself does not have the room for?

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Annie, the Dropbox mobile app is primarily a file viewer so you can see your files on your account without them taking up space.

However, if you need to export any file to another app, such as videos to Instagram, then there isn’t a direct link between Dropbox and Instagram. The app needs to use your mobile as a temporary storage to first download the video, and then to upload it to Instagram.

If your phone doesn’t have enough space, then there would be issues with this naturally. If you are low on space, you could try clearing your browser cache, or remove any unwanted photos or apps, perhaps backing them up to your computer instead.

Note that if you’re using Dropbox to automatically upload photos from your phone to store online, the app doesn’t physically delete these original photos from your device once this has been done.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

Umair R.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Try this: select the video, press on ... and press export and then press Open in... and select instagram? if this doesn't work, then save it to camera roll first then share it to instagram from there.

As you said that you don't get any error message, it could be due to a number of reasons, try this: redownload instagram or (on ios 11) go to files app and make sure dropbox is enabled.

lets us know if any of this works?

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Annie, the Dropbox mobile app is primarily a file viewer so you can see your files on your account without them taking up space.

However, if you need to export any file to another app, such as videos to Instagram, then there isn’t a direct link between Dropbox and Instagram. The app needs to use your mobile as a temporary storage to first download the video, and then to upload it to Instagram.

If your phone doesn’t have enough space, then there would be issues with this naturally. If you are low on space, you could try clearing your browser cache, or remove any unwanted photos or apps, perhaps backing them up to your computer instead.

Note that if you’re using Dropbox to automatically upload photos from your phone to store online, the app doesn’t physically delete these original photos from your device once this has been done.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Umair R.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Try this: select the video, press on ... and press export and then press Open in... and select instagram? if this doesn't work, then save it to camera roll first then share it to instagram from there.

As you said that you don't get any error message, it could be due to a number of reasons, try this: redownload instagram or (on ios 11) go to files app and make sure dropbox is enabled.

lets us know if any of this works?

Phiephie
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Umair R.

I have an iPhone 12.3.1 with latest versions of the Instagram + Dropbox apps downloaded.

As a solution to the problem of uploading/exporting a file (video) from Dropbox to Instagram you write. 

"Go to files app and make sure dropbox is enabled".

I wonder how thisis this possible when the Dropbox app is not an option:

I do: 

Settings > Dropbox > Enable access to Dropbox:
Contacts, Photos, Camera, Siri and Search, Notification/Notices, Background update, Mobile Data (NO DROPBOX APP AVAILABLE)

I than go to Instagram

Settings > Istagram > Enable access to Instagram: Location, Contacts, Photos, Microfone, Camera, Siri and Search, Notifications/Notices, Background updating, Mobile data

Could you please explain?

Kind regards

S

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @Phiephie,

I believe what Umair is referring to regarding enabling Dropbox in the Files app can be done with these steps:

1. Open the Files app on your device.
  2. Click “Edit” in the top right corner of the app screen.
  3. Toggle on Dropbox as a location.

Hope this helps - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jonbeth44
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Your explanation is not related to the question, thanks.

jonbeth44
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
There could be a bug or new Instagram pilicy.

jonbeth44
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
policy. The files App?
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jonbeth44 Helpful | Level 5
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Phiephie New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?