cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will happen if I delete all the program files of older versions from C drive of my computer?

What will happen if I delete all the program files of older versions from C drive of my computer?

Nisha Banerjee
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello everyone!! I'm using Dropbox for a long time and I really satisfied with this app. But unfortunately, I'm facing one problem that it's making repeatedly new program files in each update with named as "Client_(new version no.)" which is exhausting lots of memory space in C drive as I have installed this app at C drive in Windows 10. I'm attaching the screenshot of Dropbox folder in Program file regarding my problem. Due to limited memory space is present in my C drive, it is creating problem. I want to know that what will happen if I delete all those program files at there? Will the deletion hamper the functionality of Dropbox? If yes, then how can I change the path from C drive to D drive, Can someone please guide and advise me regarding my problem?

Capture-1.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Nisha Banerjee, sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that these are the desktop app's installation folders and you should be able to delete them without affecting anything else.

You can keep the folder for the version of the app you're currently using to be safe, just in case. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Nisha Banerjee, I hope you're doing well! 

Can you let me know if the folders seen in the screenshot are empty? If not, what type of content do they have there? 

I'd also love to know more regarding their size, since it seems a bit odd that they would occupy so much of your hard drive space. 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Nisha Banerjee
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello @Megan ! Thank you for your reply.

No, the folders in the screenshot are not empty, they are contained with .exe,.dll,.xml,.conf type of files etc. and those folders all together are consuming 5.43 GB space in C drive. I'm attaching some screenshots of the files within those folders & the property of the Dropbox folder in Program Files(x86) regarding this problem. Waiting for your guidance to resolve this problem.

Capture-2.JPG

Capture-3.JPG

Capture-4.JPG

Capture-5.JPG

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Nisha Banerjee, sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that these are the desktop app's installation folders and you should be able to delete them without affecting anything else.

You can keep the folder for the version of the app you're currently using to be safe, just in case. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Nisha Banerjee
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello @Walter, thank you for your suggestion! 🙂

I'll delete them by keeping only the latest version folder. :white_check_mark:

I have one more query regarding this problem that how can I stop or fixed this problem for permanently? It's very difficult to check Program files every time as Dropbox app automatically update itself and creating such type of folders by consuming lot of memory space in each time. Waiting for your response and guidance regarding my this problem. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If those folders are not removed when the app updates to the next version, you'll need to manually delete them as suggested @Nisha Banerjee

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Nisha Banerjee
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you @Walter for your reply! 🙂

Oh okay, that's mean I have to check every time Dropbox folder in Program file. 😐 It's little bit tiresome work. ☹️ Can I change something in my computer settings or somewhere so that those folder automatically removed during auto-update of Dropbox? 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I'm afraid I'm not aware of such setting @Nisha Banerjee

I wish I had a better answer for you. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Nisha Banerjee
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Oh it's okay @Walter 🙂 Thank you for your help! 😌 I'll check and delete those files manually. :white_check_mark:👍 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nisha Banerjee Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?