cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync set to Online Only but still taking up storage.

Smart Sync storage issue on macOS Sierra 10.12- macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

Fowzie T.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm really confused, the premise of smart sync is to free up local storage. This is a screenshot of a folder which contains about 2GB of data.  Am I doing something wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjd34t39t0q7312/Screenshot%202017-02-18%2012.03.41.png?dl=0

128 Replies 128

m_a_l_c_o_l_m
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

tl;dr You need to know that just because you upgraded to a Professional account and Smart Sync may seem like it's working, your local Dropbox app may need some tweaking to fully work.

I signed up for Professional and then went through my folders, right-clicked, Smart Select > Online Only. The icon next to the folders changed from a filled in green check-mark to an empty green check-mark so I thought everything was doing what it was supposed to. But then I didn't notice any change in the free space on my harddrive. 

Eventually I looked in Preferences on the Dropbox desktop app on my MacBook Pro (running MacOs High Sierra 10.13) and found that there was a little link saying "Enable Smart Sync". I clicked it and had to go to System Preferences to allow Dropbox to install some other little program. I then rebooted my computer (just to be safe).

Now, when I click on a file or folder and click Smart Select > Online Only the icon changes to a grey cloud. See a screenshot below. It seems that the the filled in green check mark means a Local synced file, the empty green check-mark indicates a synced folder that contains a combination of Local and Online Only files, and the grey cloud indicates a file or folder that is completely Online Only.

It didn't happen instantaneously but now, slowly, the free space on my harddrive is increasing.

Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 14.59.18.png

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @m_a_l_c_o_l_m, welcome to our community! 

This is very interesting indeed. What version of our app are you using? The latest stable version is 37.4.29. If you’re using a beta, you’ll see something like a xx.3.xx, instead of the xx.4.xx, and we recommend going to a stable build. 

Let me know when you have a chance. 

Thanks for posting this! 
Cheers 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

m_a_l_c_o_l_m
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Now that I followed the steps I outlined in my last post it's version 37.4.29. I don't know what version it was before I followed that step. Is there a way that I can look that up for you?

I'm pretty sure that the little program that was installed is called "Dropbox system extension". I see now that, in my settings, under General, there's a little toggle to turn that on or off and the information mouse-over says that it's necessary for Smart Sync to work (see screenshot below).

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 09.08.56.png

David D.99
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Windows 10 does show the actual size of the folder in Dropbox and in disk, this is a screenshot of a folder with Smart Sync where some subfolders are actually synced locally.

BTW, I do not like that I have to pay 100$ more for using Smart Sync! 

2017-10-21_12_16_48.png

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for getting back to me. Don’t worry about trying to find the last version you were on. 

Yeah, I see now what was going on… the Dropbox System Extension must be allowed! I’m glad that you figured this out! 

So, how is the Smart Sync working out?

Cheers

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for stopping by with the screenshot and the confirmation that Smart Sync is working out for you! Not much I can do about the extra $$, except to let the team know how you feel about it. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

trevgriff
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I ahve the same issue

CMParrish
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm on 10.13 and having the same problem...what OS release is the fix tagged to?

m_a_l_c_o_l_m
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @CMParrish,

Have you gone through the steps to allow and install the Dropbox sytem extension? You can find the instructions here: https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/filesystem-integration I don't know if it's tagged to a specific OS release. At the top of the instruction page it says, "The system extension for macOS is currently in closed beta for select opt-in users only." So I think you will need to follow the steps to install it and allow it. It won't just happen automatically by installing Dropbox. Good luck!

I've freed up about 40GB of space using Smart Sync.

m_a_l_c_o_l_m
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Sanchez,

I would recommend that when someone upgrades their plan to Professional (which is likely to be because of Smart Sync) that Dropbox should send them an email which includes some message saying, "You will need to make sure that the Dropbox System Extension is installed for Smart Sync to work. Here's how you can do that."

It could also be good to explain that people won't necessarily see immediate space being freed up as soon as you mark a file or folder "Online Only" - it may take a couple of hours to start to see the changes.

Need more support?