cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Broken links in InDesign files

Broken links in InDesign files on macOS Monterey 12.3.1

RobWilkins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi there,

I've been happily working with Indesign files in Dropbox for a year now where my files are all stored Online Only. It used to be the case that Dropbox would automatically relink all the supporting files that are stored on Dropbox.com Screenshot 2022-04-16 at 08.18.07.pngand I would be able to edit the InDesign file. Recently, upon opening an InDesign file all the links to picture files etc are broken. 

Added to that, when I try to relink the files through InDesign I get a message that reads: Import Failed! (see attachment). My Dropbox App says that the files I am trying to relink are all Zero Bytes. When I access my account at Dropbox.com the files are all good.

The only way I seems that I can relink my files is if I download them to my iMac.

I'm currently using Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tobiasknecht
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello all together

I have the same problem in InDesign with files that are only online and despair almost every day when I have to edit InDesign jobs where I have to locate the files in the Finder first and download them every time.

Now I have discovered a workaround:

1. Open a job in InDesign
  2. Select all entries in "Links"
  3. Right-click on the menu item "Edit With" > "Preview 11.0".
  4. After all files have been opened in Preview, quit Preview.
  5. Switch back to InDesign.
  6. Continue working.

I hope this helps some of you.

View solution in original post

66 Replies 66

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Its a known issue with 12.3.x I'm afraid as Apple have changed how files are handled. 

Dropbox is aware and working on it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ALevitz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Having this exact same issue after updating to Monterey 12.3.1 - looking forward to a fix QUICK. Major slowdown in productivity as a result.

I notice files originated by myself seem fine, but am unable to update links within files other team members have created. May try downloading needed images to desktop to see if that helps. Even when I select and "Make Available Offline" currently linked files, it still gives the same "Import failed" message. 

RobWilkins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I agree, it's a real pain and I hope a solution is found pronto.
I'm having to 'make available offline' files that I need to relink in my InDesign files. This obviously takes up a fair bit of hard disk space and valuable production time relinking everything.

ThomasBrovst
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

We have the same issue here. Looking forward to seeing a solution. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey guys, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

We’re actively working on full support for macOS 12.3.

With this version, you may have trouble accessing online-only files in third party apps.

However, you can go to Finder and double-click to open these files. 

You can read more info here.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RobWilkins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for your message and help Hannah,

I am using the method you have outlined here (making any linked files 'available offline') but ultimately I use Dropbox because I can store all my files offline saving me space on my hard disk. With previous versions of MacOS I could happily open an InDesign file and all the links would be intact.

Now, I have to manually make a list of all the linked files, find those files on my Dropbox account and then make them 'available offline'. This is itself does not always restore the link in InDesign. I have to copy the individual files to a folder on my hard disk and then relink.

This is having a real impact on my production time and I expect many others are experiencing the same problem.

The problem has been known for quite a while now and I do hope Dropbox can find a solution asap otherwise I might have to consider another solution for my workflow.

Kind regards,

Rob

rodrigrafo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Regarding this problem, which also worries me a lot, I have verified that other services such as One Drive work correctly with InDesign links in Monterrey 12.3 or 12.4. That is, the solution exists. I've been a DropBox Plus user for many years, but if they don't fix this issue soon, I'll consider migrating my workflow to another platform.

andygin72
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I agree, this is a nightmare! I'm about to go on holiday and I tried to open one of the files I need to work on while I'm away on my laptop. NONE of the images are linked and it looks like I have to update every file individually, but before I do that I have to 'Make available offline' each individual file - is that right? What happened to 'Smart Sync'? It's going to take hours. 

sparkster
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I have the same question/problem and have sent this screen recording www.dropbox.com/s/5lmtck47lk1cowt/Dropbox%20Big%20Sur%20InDesign.mov?dl=0  to support team but heave not been provided with a satisfactory response. All I get is a standard request to manually go through and locally sync linked files to fix the problem, but as you know, this would be very time consuming, and wasn't a required step when on Big Sur. It's a Monterey issue. The support staff don't seem to even be aware that pre Monterey, things worked differently. Now they are troubleshooting and telling us we don't know how online/offline syncing works rather than acknowledge that something got broken and needs fixing. Given that you can go to Mac > Word > Open... > select an online only (zero file size) file > Open and it will trigger a local sync and then open the file, is this an Adobe or a Dropbox issue? We have reverted Macs back to Big Sur until this is resolved. 

Need more support?