cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open certain files using the app, I get an error from Excel.

Cannot open certain files using the app, I get an error from Excel.

RJ02
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am having an issue when opening documents vis the "app" or "local" vs. web-based. After downloading the app, all files are accessible, working properly and show on the web-based platform but....after putting computer to sleep or shutting down, the files on the "app" based folders will not display and shows the following: 

RJ02_0-1710862145445.png

RJ02_1-1710862332778.png

RJ02_2-1710862383517.png

I have to uninstall the program and re-install just to be able to work with the documents on the "app" or "local" based, while I have no problems accessing, editing, saving, sharing document on the web-based platform. I access these files throughout the day and really need the "local" access via the web based for efficiency  

Is there a setting I am missing with the laptop I need to address? 

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RJ02
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Just a follow up to hep others if they experience this problem. Since my OneDrive was not logged into when this problem was present, I did a deep dive and found my problem. For some reason after downloading the Drobox app, it was not defaulting to run in the background. so after allowing the program to run in the background. Rebooting the laptop, shutting down for the night and booting up this morning, my issue is gone and I have full access to every folder and doc. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there, @RJ02, I hope you're doing well!

Does this happen with Excel documents specifically, or different file types too? 

If you try to quit the app, and then open these files, do they preview normally, or do you still get the same error? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RJ02
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me Megan!

It is very inconsistent on which type of docs I can or cannot open. As you see in my snippet it was only showing the Excel Docs but different folders may have all docs with no access. Another thing I noticed is your don't see the green or blue "status" circles you normally see when everything is working correctly. Plus when I am having issues, When I right click on the icon I don't see the option to "view on Dropbox.com" 

As you can see now after updating the program today, I can access all folders and they have the status symbol on each folder and everything is working fine.

RJ02_0-1710871265026.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @RJ02, yes, your screenshot shows all of our syncing icons at the moment. 

It could be something simple, like the app not running, or not being up-to-date.

I'm guessing based on everything that you said, that everything is back on track now? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

RJ02
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Megan, it will work for the rest of the day as long as I have the computer open. I'll follow up tomorrow after shutting down and restarting in the morning. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sure thing, @RJ02!

I'll be waiting for your update!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

RJ02
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Megan, 

Good Morning! So, as you can see when I start my computer this morning. I have lost "some" the connectivity to Dropbox and there is no status indicators on the files nor is there the Dropbox Icon in the menu when I right click to go to Dropbox web based. I can still access some of the documents as you can see but not all, no matter if they are word or excel. And on thing to note...I can access everything if I access through the web base or on-line, just not through the "app" or local. 

RJ02_0-1710947251014.png

Screen shot from "App" or local:

RJ02_1-1710947395082.png

Screen shot from web-based:

RJ02_2-1710947535601.png

This is the latest version I was able to download from Dropbox.com:

RJ02_3-1710947998333.png

What will fix this for the day is...I have to update to the latest version in order for it to work properly. But I have to do this every morning or just use the web-based location. 

Curious to see what the issue is. I have a feeling it is something with a setting in the laptop or maybe a version I am running on the laptop? FYI. The laptop is running Windows 11 - Home.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@RJ02 wrote:

Curious to see what the issue is. I have a feeling it is something with a setting in the laptop or maybe a version I am running on the laptop?

In one of your screenshots with the Dropbox status icons missing you can see that some of the files have a brown box status icon on it. This isn't a Dropbox icon. It's part of Windows/OneDrive.

Could OneDrive be interfering with Dropbox? That's pretty common if both services are trying to sync the same files.

RJ02
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Rich, 

that's a good question. But as I look into my One drive I am not logged in and never use it. should I just delete the app? 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@RJ02 wrote:

But as I look into my One drive I am not logged in and never use it. should I just delete the app? 

Well, the brown box icon in OneDrive usually indicates an on-demand file, one that isn't actually stored on your local drive and can only be accessed while signed in, so that could be part of the issue.

As for deleting OneDrive, that's not something I can (or will) answer. All I can say is that there are plenty of posts on the these forums from people experiencing issues with sync icons and other Dropbox functionality as a result of OneDrive interfering.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

RJ02 Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?