cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

\\?\D:\Dropbox in the file path not allowing me to open my Word documents

\\?\D:\Dropbox in the file path not allowing me to open my Word documents

marchenkovasea
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dear Sirs,

Couple of weeks ago I started to have problems with openening of 50% of my word documents which are inside dropbox folder.

Documents are simple not openening, because they have \\?\ symbos at the beginning of file directory

marchenkovasea_0-1710948254732.png

In case I move these not opening files outside Dropbox folder they start to open normally. 

Can you please advice why some of my files can have these \\?\ symbols appearing? Same document I'm able to open today can be unable to open next time.

Same happens on my second PC.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @marchenkovasea,

The issue you're experiencing is related to Windows file path length limitation and particular application' implementation details (things that can provoke limitation effect). You first file path length (the troublesome one) exceeds the limitation and that's why cannot open. The second path length covers limitation and that's why can open.

Hope this clarifies matter.

About your initial question: Make sure your file (the one, you're going to open) is available locally (i.e. it's not online only) in advance. Using UNC doesn't guarantees automatic download - Dropbox imperfection (not to say bug)!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, @marchenkovasea.

That is quite strange indeed, but let's see what we can find out.

Does the issue persist, if you close the Dropbox app completely?

Also, are you only having this issue with Word files specifically or with other file types as well?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

marchenkovasea
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dear Hannah,

Thanks for guiding me. I found something interesting. Long name (or maybe specific symbols) of folder, where word file is placed can cause this problem.

For example:

I have a word file in the following directory:

D:\Dropbox\Euro Yarns SRL\Production\Orders\Order 415 - Vira - 9099, 2199, 9100, 3170, 13439,Grey 60111, E76,E70,E90,5,Berber,Grey,Turquoise, Grey v1, Brown v1\Order 415 - Vira - 9099, 2199, 9100, 3170, 13439,Grey 60111, E76,E70,E90,5,Berber,Grey,Turquoise, Grey v1, Brown v1.docx

As you can see folder and file name are quite long. This file I'm not able to open in this directory.

1st thing is: I cannot rename my word file in this directory.

2nd thing: if I make folder name shorter, my word file starts to open. A shorter folder like this:

D:\Dropbox\Euro Yarns SRL\Production\Orders\Order 415 - Vira - 9099, 2199, 9100, 3170, 13439,Grey 60111, E76,E70,E90,5\Order 415 - Vira - 9099, 2199, 9100, 3170, 13439,Grey 60111, E76,E70,E90,5,Berber,Grey,Turquoise, Grey v1, Brown v1.docx

3rd thing is: If I do not rename anything, but will just move my long named folder to root dropbox directory it starts to work.

D:\Dropbox\Order 415 - Vira - 9099, 2199, 9100, 3170, 13439,Grey 60111, E76,E70,E90,5,Berber,Grey,Turquoise, Grey v1, Brown v1\Order 415 - Vira - 9099, 2199, 9100, 3170, 13439,Grey 60111, E76,E70,E90,5,Berber,Grey,Turquoise, Grey v1, Brown v1.docx

In the past I didn't experienced problems with long named folders, but now it happens.

Can you please create any word document in a directory same as mine and see if it happens on your side also? If there is a limit of symbols in a file path, what is the limit then?

Thank you in advance!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @marchenkovasea,

The issue you're experiencing is related to Windows file path length limitation and particular application' implementation details (things that can provoke limitation effect). You first file path length (the troublesome one) exceeds the limitation and that's why cannot open. The second path length covers limitation and that's why can open.

Hope this clarifies matter.

About your initial question: Make sure your file (the one, you're going to open) is available locally (i.e. it's not online only) in advance. Using UNC doesn't guarantees automatic download - Dropbox imperfection (not to say bug)!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    marchenkovasea Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?