cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File date changing

File date changing

Steve53
Helpful | Level 5

Hi 

I have seen a number of posts about DropBox changing file dates to "date modified" which appears to be the date the file was uploaded to DropBox.  This is weird because if you are just uploading and downloading files from one computer to another you want the original date to be retained. The date of  the uploading is mostly irrelevant. For searching based on date the file was created/last edited is what I need to maintain my records by date created/edited. This happens when I use the app of the web and add files to a DropBox folder the date it was added is saved as the modified date. It gets stranger because when I download to another computer I can restore the original file date if SmartSync is on and set to local but this worked for Excel files but not for PDFs! BTW I am using Windows 10 on both computers. I could not work out behaviour from previous posts. thanks for any help

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Steve53, thanks for messaging today!

Are you referring to the date modified as it appears on the Dropbox site, or how it appeared in Explorer/Finder?

In general, if a file is uploaded directly to the Dropbox site, the modification and creation date are for that moment. Likewise, downloading a file from the website onto your computer has both the creation and modification date to be for the moment.

If an old file is moved into a syncing Dropbox folder, and is then edited later, then the creation date is of the old file, and the modification date is whenever it is edited. These two dates are synced to any machine where the app is installed.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Steve53
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay

I am referring to the modified date on DropBox and that this date is retained in the properties of the file thereafter!

"In general, if a file is uploaded directly to the Dropbox site, the modification and creation date are for that moment. Likewise, downloading a file from the website onto your computer has both the creation and modification date to be for the moment."

This is crazy behaviour. If I used a flash drive to move files between computers the date properties would not be changed.

Where does DropBox give itself the right to change the properties of my files without my permission!

I wil be looking for an alternative to DropBox ASAP!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Using a flash drive is the same as transferring from one hard drive to another, where the original data exists as-is.

The way the modification date changes on Dropbox is more similar to downloading files sent to you via an attachment in an email. Even though the file could be much older, the file creation and modification date would be for the same moment of download.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

C-A
Helpful | Level 5
Hi Jay, this happens to me almost twice a year and is very disappointing. It seems occurs when dropbox makes by itself some sync process, but is like starting all from zero cause modified date in finder are like creation date

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @C-A, thanks for reaching out to us here.

You mentioned that this happens to you almost twice a year; so this is not consistent behavior?

Does it otherwise work as normal?

Any additional info on the behavior you're seeing would be really helpful.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Fam BJ
New member | Level 2

Dropbox even changes folder dates on local folders that I am copying to/from to my Dropbox folder. 

This messes up all history in my original folder structure, and it cannot be recreated.

I really don't see why Dropbox allows itself to fiddle with my local archive!

This is a dealbreaker for me.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Fam BJ New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    C-A Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Steve53 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?