cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder not loading images on mobile

Folder not loading images on mobile

xoxoJen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I load photos to a shared folder "anyone with link can view" the images are only viewable on desktop machine. Mobile will load the page, but there are empty/blank squares in place of all the images.

This is not only happening to me specific, but four other users and with shared folder links other than mine.

I do not have the dropbox ap installed on my phone but other users do and have same result - empty boxes where images should be.

Help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Frank_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey all,

Thank you for your patience while we worked on getting this resolved. A fix for this has been released and shared links to folders should now show image and video thumbnails correctly, and let you interact with the thumbnails to view previews of the files. 

This should work correctly for all users now, however if anyone is still seeing issues with shared links to folders on mobile web browsers, can you let us know in detail what behaviour you are seeing? 

Thanks again to everyone that reported this behaviour and helped us to identify the source of the problem!

Best,

Frank

View solution in original post

31 Replies 31

DonaLuiza
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi,
I use my Dropbox account to share one folder called Dona Luiza with many people via the folder link. Today I received many complaints from the people without the app or account saying that the pics wouldn’t load for them, I tried logging out on my iphone and opening the link and it didn’t work as well. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@DonaLuiza wrote:
Hi,
I use my Dropbox account to share one folder called Dona Luiza with many people via the folder link. Today I received many complaints from the people without the app or account saying that the pics wouldn’t load for them, I tried logging out on my iphone and opening the link and it didn’t work as well. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Hello...

If you need your participants to have "edit" access to the photos then yes, they need a Dropbox account and ample storage space in their account.

I recommend that you read this Help Center article regarding shared links (then choose which way you're accessing Dropbox for instructions).  You can create a folder filled with you photos and just share-a-link to that folder.  They can view everything without needing a Dropbox account.  In addition, they cannot accidenatlly delete any files as can be done via a Collaborative Folder (unless you set view-only permissions).

I realize that it's hard to know for sure how sharing a link to folders/files will appear to your participants (especially when testing folders/files in your account vs another person's).

For that reason, I make it possible for you to test-drive how sharing a link is viewed by YOUR recipients... please feel free to explore my example folder below.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you want to have the same experience as a non-Dropbox user then you should sign out of your Dropbox account or use a different browser.

> SHARING A DROPBOX SUB FOLDER LINK EXAMPLE:

The image below shows you the hierarchy of my example for sharing a LINK to a sub folder that only allows the recipient to view the ExampleSubFolder's contents.

Sharing a LINK to a Folder/File in my sub folder example does not give you access to the parent folder (zz.Example2) or its other sub folder (ExampleSubFolder2).

Depending upon how your folders/files are arranged within your Dropbox account:

1. You may have to create a new parent or sub folder.
  2. Then copy/move your files to that folder in order to control what your recipients can view or download.

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I listed a few Help Center articles below for your convenience.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

DonaLuiza wrote:
Today I received many complaints from the people without the app or account saying that the pics wouldn’t load for them

If memory serves, this is a known issue that Dropbox was looking into. It started happening sometime in December.

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi xoxoJen,

What is the account emails of the users who have this issue?

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

xoxoJen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Mine is cutsie@gmail.com

another person who can load on desktop does not have an account at all

two users I don't know well enough to ask for their email addresses

another is brianscribner33@gmail.com

And I am waiting for a reply for the other account.

The images are stored in the account brianscribner33@gmail.com who is marked as 'Owner' where I (cutsie@gmail.com) am an editor and who loaded the images.

xoxoJen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
The other user I was waiting for reply from also does not have an account nor the mobile app, and only tested on mobile.
Another tidbit of information is that the other links I mentioned as not working, did work yesterday at some point and have stopped. (same empty boxes in place of images result)

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi xoxoJen,

When you say mobile isn't loading the images, are you referring to the mobile app? Or the mobile website?

iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

xoxoJen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Both! Appears to be specific to outside the app.
I don't have the app, whereas Brian does.

I've tried loading in Chrome, Firefox, and whatever facebook messenger uses and none work on my phone. On desktop, it loads fine in Firefox so I didn't test further there.

Edit to add: Brian just told me this:

I can see all the images on my phone within the app but when I copy the link and share to Facebook, I cant see the pics when I click on that link from facebook.

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi xoxoJen,

Thanks for all the info! We will get back to you next week.

iOS Engineer @ Dropbox
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Frank_S Dropbox Staff
    Vernon Dropbox Staff
    muresanozana1 Explorer | Level 3
    Anastasios Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?