cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Dropbox folder to a new drive WITHOUT resyncing.

Moving Dropbox folder to a new drive WITHOUT resyncing.

au5
Explorer | Level 3

My current Dropbox pathway is on a drive that is maxed out of capacity and I want to move it to a 2TB internal SSD. 
I copied my entire Dropbox folder to the new drive but when I try to choose the new location of where my Dropbox folder is located, it created another Dropbox folder inside my current Dropbox folder.
Every "solved" post I can find regarding fixing this issue says to just create a new Dropbox and let everything re-download and sync. I've tried this in the past but the issue I have is that my current Dropbox contains over 1TB and my ISP penalizes me for downloading so much data within a short amount of time. 
How can I just relink the pathway of Dropbox to the new Dropbox folder on the new drive without having to re-download and sync everything? All my files are already there so theoretically there should be a way to just relink the Dropbox and have it index the existing files instead of waiting days to re-download everything and be penalized by my ISP. 
Is this possible, and if not, why not? I am not the only one here who has this issue and believe it should have a simple fix.

1 Reply 1

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @au5, I'd be happy to help out here!

As you mentioned that a Dropbox folder is being created inside the folder you copied over to your new drive, it would suggest that when selecting the new location you're selecting the actual Dropbox folder itself.

If the current Dropbox folder on the new drive is, for example, in the path "D:\Folder 1\Dropbox", then the location you select during the setup of the desktop app will be "D:\Folder 1".

If, when you select this location the desktop app doesn't recognise the current Dropbox folder and creates a new one (but in the correct location) the workaround I can suggest is the following.

Pause the syncing of the desktop app, move the content of the copied Dropbox folder to the new folder the app created, resume the syncing of the desktop app.

It will need to do some indexing to check all the files are there, but it won't resync them if there are no pending changes.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?