cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline videos on an iPad are washed out (too much white)

Offline videos on an iPad are washed out (too much white)

KRichardson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The original source taken with an iPhone is fine. Playing (streaming) from the iPad app is fine. When I select the file to be available "offline" the quality is bad - blindingly "white" - like the download is corrupt. Then I delete the offline file, and it still looks bad until I restart the app. Then the streamed version is fine again. Any ideas? I've deleted and re-installed the app twice, thinking maybe it was the installation.  I've deleted and re-downloaded the files multiple times and it happens most of the time (I've had one or two go okay).  My iPad is up to date. My app is up to date. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

KRichardson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Problem solved (well, not solved, but understood). It is an iPhone 12 problem in the video creation that causes problems on some hardware:

No, the video problem is an iPhone 12 flaw, and only Apple can fix it. It’s apparently one of several quality issues with the iPhone 12 (see tinyurl.com/43wgwtoy and tinyurl.com/1duwio5q).

The culprit in this case seems to be a video recording setting called “HDR” (high dynamic range) on the iPhone 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max. HDR gives a high-definition boost to each of the iPhone 12’s three choices for video recording quality.

At its maximum setting, the iPhone 12’s HDR produces what video enthusiasts call “Hollywood-quality video.” Apple describes it as “Dolby Vision” at up to 30 frames a second, which can “capture true-to-life color and contrast.”

However, the iPhone 12’s HDR appears to be incompatible with either the screen displays or the HDR software on many earlier Apple devices (see tinyurl.com/ymxy5cb6). While iPhones are supposed to automatically reduce the quality of incoming video to a level they can play, that doesn’t always happen (see “compatibility issues” at tinyurl.com/k2vte0u4). As a result, when HDR videos from an iPhone 12 are viewed on some iPhone and iPad models, they appear either washed out or the wrong color (usually blue-green.)

Unfortunately, the best temporary solution for iPhone 12 owners is to turn off HDR video until Apple fixes the compatibility issue. Without HDR, iPhone 12 videos should be compatible with other iPhones and with iPads. To turn off HDR video recording on an iPhone 12, owners should go to “settings,” choose “camera,” then select “record video.” They will then be given the option to turn off “HDR video.”

From this article.

https://biztimes.biz/tech-qa-iphone-12-videos-washed-out-on-some-iphones-ipads/

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

KRichardson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just tested the same thing on the iPhone in the app and the problem doesn't show up.  So hoping for a fix as watching on my phone's small screen isn't ideal.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @KRichardson, I'd be happy to help! 

You mentioned your iPad and the Dropbox app are both up to date, so I assume you use iOS 16 and the Dropbox version is 298.2.2, right? 

What type of files did you notice this behavior with? Can you also send us a couple of screenshots of how your files preview normally in the app, versus when you make them available offline?

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

KRichardson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I am on the most recent Dropbox 298.2.2 and the most recent for my older iPad Air w (15.7). I don’t see how to add a picture to this post from my phone and can’t seem to copy-paste - will try from my computer.

KRichardson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

There you go!  The whole video looks like the bottom frame when downloaded.

IMG_1391.PNGIMG_1392.PNG

I thought maybe it was my internet, which can be slow at home. Tried at the office where I have super fast internet and tried multiple ways (single file, directory) and still had the same effect.  The files are .MOV files, taken with an iPhone. The problem doesn't appear on my iPhone 12 Pro which is on the same os (15.7) as I'm not an early adopter.

Thanks for your help!!!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @KRichardson, it most likely seems to be a codec issue, since the video appears normal on an iPhone, but not on another device or a desktop machine. 

Have you tried using different media players to view the video, or exporting the file from the Dropbox app to another app?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

KRichardson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That makes sense. Do you know if I can I associate a different player with Dropbox? I was hoping to download and view them within the app...  Otherwise, if I have to download them outside of dropbox, it seems to defeat the purpose...

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to jump in here, @KRichardson, just wanted to ask you a couple more questions.

Are you seeing the same behavior on other video files you make available offline, or just this one?

Also, can you open the Dropbox app, tap on 'account', then on the gear icon and then on 'clear cache', to see if that helps?

If not, try to uninstall the app, restart the device, and then reinstall it.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

KRichardson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Hannah,

I tried your suggestions and unfortunately to no avail. The offline video still looks the same. I tested with another file type, and .m4v files play fine offline. I though more about the codec issue, but if it were the player, why would streaming work, and offline storage not work…

I have a trip coming up and I might just use Handbrake to convert all of the files to .m4v to solve my problem for now.

I so appreciate the support and ideas from everyone!

Thank you!

KRichardson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Color me surprised - I absolutely expected a file conversion to do the job. The conversion to a .mp4 file did not help. Same problem! Preview/streaming is fine, downloaded file is bleached out. Weird, weird, weird.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

KRichardson Helpful | Level 6
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?