cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline videos on an iPad are washed out (too much white)

Offline videos on an iPad are washed out (too much white)

KRichardson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The original source taken with an iPhone is fine. Playing (streaming) from the iPad app is fine. When I select the file to be available "offline" the quality is bad - blindingly "white" - like the download is corrupt. Then I delete the offline file, and it still looks bad until I restart the app. Then the streamed version is fine again. Any ideas? I've deleted and re-installed the app twice, thinking maybe it was the installation.  I've deleted and re-downloaded the files multiple times and it happens most of the time (I've had one or two go okay).  My iPad is up to date. My app is up to date. 

10 Replies 10

KRichardson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Problem solved (well, not solved, but understood). It is an iPhone 12 problem in the video creation that causes problems on some hardware:

No, the video problem is an iPhone 12 flaw, and only Apple can fix it. It’s apparently one of several quality issues with the iPhone 12 (see tinyurl.com/43wgwtoy and tinyurl.com/1duwio5q).

The culprit in this case seems to be a video recording setting called “HDR” (high dynamic range) on the iPhone 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max. HDR gives a high-definition boost to each of the iPhone 12’s three choices for video recording quality.

At its maximum setting, the iPhone 12’s HDR produces what video enthusiasts call “Hollywood-quality video.” Apple describes it as “Dolby Vision” at up to 30 frames a second, which can “capture true-to-life color and contrast.”

However, the iPhone 12’s HDR appears to be incompatible with either the screen displays or the HDR software on many earlier Apple devices (see tinyurl.com/ymxy5cb6). While iPhones are supposed to automatically reduce the quality of incoming video to a level they can play, that doesn’t always happen (see “compatibility issues” at tinyurl.com/k2vte0u4). As a result, when HDR videos from an iPhone 12 are viewed on some iPhone and iPad models, they appear either washed out or the wrong color (usually blue-green.)

Unfortunately, the best temporary solution for iPhone 12 owners is to turn off HDR video until Apple fixes the compatibility issue. Without HDR, iPhone 12 videos should be compatible with other iPhones and with iPads. To turn off HDR video recording on an iPhone 12, owners should go to “settings,” choose “camera,” then select “record video.” They will then be given the option to turn off “HDR video.”

From this article.

https://biztimes.biz/tech-qa-iphone-12-videos-washed-out-on-some-iphones-ipads/

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

KRichardson Helpful | Level 6
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?