cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Slow opening of Dropbox files on a new Chromebook

Slow opening of Dropbox files on a new Chromebook

pamchromebook
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I switched to a chromebook this month from a pc.  I use dropbox for all my storage.  I have setup dropbox in my folders and get to my dropbx files. but they open very slowly.  I have also used google drive as a test and those files open almost instantly.

Does chromebook not like to work with Dropbox

13 Replies 13

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @pamchromebook, I hope you enjoyed your weekend!

Keep in mind, that as Hannah mentioned, Chromebooks can't handle our desktop app, and the app installed there is mostly similar to the mobile app. Did you install the app via the Playstore on your device?

I'd also appreciate a screenshot showing me how the files are showing on your computer, in order for me to have a visual of this. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

UberRat
Explorer | Level 4

I too are having this issue with slow opening.

When checking with the file option, google drive is there but no sign of Dropbox

If I open the Dropbox app, then the drive will appear. But while the file “header” is present, trying to load the file into a CNC (web-based) system, the file sticks on download (forever).

Sometimes, the system boots and loads Dropbox correctly, and then everything works as it should.

I’m guessing that the Chromebook tries to load Dropbox on startup - but doesn’t hang about, timeouts, and skips over it.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @UberRat - can you clarify the version of the Dropbox app you're using on your Chromebook?  

Have you try reinstalling it by any chance? Also, is your browser up to date with its latest version? 

Any additional information is more than welcome! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Sir_Reginald_III
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I know this is an old post but I was having the same problem on my ASUS Chromebook (2022 version)  and found a way to make the files load faster and appear with thumbnails. First, I deleted and reloaded the Dropbox App in order to assure I had the most recent version. I then went into the App Info Settings and set it to open in Dropbox instead of the default Chrome Browser setting. These simple steps seemed to have solved the problem for me and I hope it does for you or anyone else who stumbles across this post as I did.

Need more support?