cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync symbols not showing up

Sync symbols not showing up

rgnx91
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I used to use Dropbox for years, had all the archive of my work on it, and the main thing that I loved was how easily I could keep track of what was/wasn't synced on my laptop. I had to move to iCloud for a while for budgeting reasons, but now that all of that is in order, I've re-subscribed and trying to move the bulk of my archive back. However, I seem to be having some trouble with the sync symbols, which is bumming me out.

I'm on a Macbook Pro (Ventura 13.0.1 / M1 Pro)

At first none of the sync symbols were showing up. I followed some guides from other posts suggesting either to relaunch Finder, or to toggle the tick in Finder Extensions on and off, but I've only managed to get the green tick to show for files that are synced. All the rest of the symbols aren't showing up... in fact, when something is online only I'm getting the iCloud symbol instead. (see screenshot attached)

Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 8.38.03 PM.png

Is there anything you can suggest I do? Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @rgnx91, you got it right. 

On Dropbox for macOS, the syncing icons have slightly changed from what you may be used to. Files and folders can be in various sync states, for example:

“Available offline”sync-icon.png

A solid green circle with a white checkmark means your file or folder is synced and available offline. You will see this icon after right-clicking a file or folder and selecting Make available offline.

“Online-only”FPonlineonly.png

A cloud icon with a down arrow means your file or folder is synced and online-only until it is opened. Clicking on the this icon will download the file/folder and change its state to “available”. 

Double clicking online-only files from Finder will automatically download this file and open it in its default application. Opening files from an application will also automatically download these files and open it.

“Available” (no icon)
A file with no icon means that it has been opened either by double-clicking, through a third-party application or by clicking the cloud icon to download. 

Files and folders may have other icons next to them if for example a file is syncing or downloading. Other examples include error states where a file/folder cannot be synced with Dropbox. Hovering over the icon will give more details of what the error may be.

For a more detailed explanation of the sync icons please visit our Help Center.

Thank you!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @rgnx91 

The files arent stored inside an iCloud directory at all are they?

Is Dropbox running? What version is it? 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

rgnx91
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Mark! Thanks for your answer.

Yes, Dropbox is running: V161.4.4923

I'm not sure where the files are stored to be honest. There was a recent update that moved the entire Dropbox folder... somewhere else? It appears under "Locations" now, sort of like its own drive.

Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 9.30.07 PM.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @rgnx91, sorry to jump in, but I just wanted to mention that it seems that you were recently updated to the latest version of the Dropbox app for Macs which moves your Dropbox folder to  ~/Library/CloudStorage and can no longer be found in your Mac's favorites, but under your Mac's Locations instead.

For more information about the syncing icons, you can have a look here.

I hope this helps a tad. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

rgnx91
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Walter, thanks for this! So, if I'm understanding correctly, it's just that the icons have changed? Sorry, I suppose I must have missed that. I thought something wasn't working right... or maybe I'm traumatised by iCloud's sync 😧

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @rgnx91, you got it right. 

On Dropbox for macOS, the syncing icons have slightly changed from what you may be used to. Files and folders can be in various sync states, for example:

“Available offline”sync-icon.png

A solid green circle with a white checkmark means your file or folder is synced and available offline. You will see this icon after right-clicking a file or folder and selecting Make available offline.

“Online-only”FPonlineonly.png

A cloud icon with a down arrow means your file or folder is synced and online-only until it is opened. Clicking on the this icon will download the file/folder and change its state to “available”. 

Double clicking online-only files from Finder will automatically download this file and open it in its default application. Opening files from an application will also automatically download these files and open it.

“Available” (no icon)
A file with no icon means that it has been opened either by double-clicking, through a third-party application or by clicking the cloud icon to download. 

Files and folders may have other icons next to them if for example a file is syncing or downloading. Other examples include error states where a file/folder cannot be synced with Dropbox. Hovering over the icon will give more details of what the error may be.

For a more detailed explanation of the sync icons please visit our Help Center.

Thank you!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rgnx91
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Awesome! That's good to know. Thank you Megan and Walter.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rgnx91 Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?