cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to download most files from the website

Unable to download most files from the website

thorelen
Explorer | Level 3

Hello!

I can acces som photos, but not all uploaded files. Maybe it's only shared files I can't access.
Here's my case:

I am a consultant/developer using DropBox to distribute SW to my (one and only) client.
I am using DropBox from several Linux computers installed at different locations all over the contry (Norway). These are running VNCserver and we log in remotely (using TightVNC). For years we have downloaded files from my account [removed per the Dropbox Community Guidelines] throug FireFox on these Ubuntu boxes.

Suddeny, about a week ago, this became impossible for me. I now get a page showing a dart-board with the message "Error - Something went wrong....Dropbox team has been notified...". Checking the status page tells me "All systems operational"

From my home computer (Windows 10) I can still access the files both throug local integration in Windows Explorer and on www.dropbox.com.
My client (logging in the same way remotely) is still able to download my files.

• Is there anyone that can help in this matter?
  • I have tried the ChatBot, but to no avail.
    Is there a way to direct this issue to the Dropbox support team?

best regards

9 Replies 9

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, @thorelen.

Are you seeing the same issue if you try to download your files using a different browser or a private browsing window?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

thorelen
Explorer | Level 3

I do not want to install alternative browsers. I do not know if it is possible to have private windows in FireFox, and I don't want to find out. The point here is:

• We are logged in remotely to Ubuntu
  • It has worked for years
  • My client can access the (shared) files in FireFox using his own DropBox-account
  • I can not access them using my account
  • From my home computer I can access the files on dropbox.com in different browsers

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @thorelen, we do need to see if this is a browser issue, since it works on other computers, if you can check the private browsing windows and a different browser, please do.

Also, just to clarify, is accessing the files the issue, or downloading them?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

thorelen
Explorer | Level 3

I cannot access the files and therefor I cannot download them

As I have stated several times now: It works on my home computer in Chrome (bothe normal and private browser window) . It is when I access DropBox.com from Firefox on a remote computer I have problems. See my first post for more details. It started one week ago. Other people using their own accounts are able to access the files (via remote connection) . But not when I use my account. I am the owner of the files.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Him @thorelen, do you have any proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router settings that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

In general, you usage of Dropbox via remote logins isn't fully supported, since there could be issues with the connection to Dropbox servers. 

Since you're able to access files from your home computer, this means that the site is working normally, and there has most likely been some sort of change in the remote software, or the OS of those devices. I'd recommend you check any of the above possibilities to see what could be causing this.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

thorelen
Explorer | Level 3

Hello again!

What you suggest can not be the case here.

I hav now made a test:
I created a new e-mail account and invited it to share the files. After creating a new account for the new addess I am able to download the files through the same VPN, the same VNC-client and the same web-browser on the remote computer.

As I see it, this only leaves my old DropBox-account [removed per the Dropbox Community Guidelines] as the failing part here. I have tried several times with both accounts. Same result every time. The old one fails. The new one succeeds.

Is it possible for you to check the history and logs to try and find out what is failing?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @thorelen, hope it’s OK to jump in. 

You mention that you’ve tried accessing your files via multiple browsers on your local device, and you’re not having trouble then. 

Can you please try using the same version of Firefox that you used to connect to your Dropbox account remotely, and let me know if that works, as well? 

This step is important to help us isolate the issue, and troubleshoot further.

Let me know what you find.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

thorelen
Explorer | Level 3

It is not possible for me to do that test, and anyway it's beside the point.

As I mentioned earlier I have made a second DropBox accout with another mail address.

When I use that new DropBox account I have no problems accessing or downloading so there should be no need for further testing of browsers.  There are other people accessing and downloading exactly the same way over VPN too. Please read my earlier post:  "..... through the same VPN, the same VNC-client and the same web-browser on the remote computer. ".

I hope is be possible for you to examine the logs (or whatever) to find out why it is only my account that is unable to access and download?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @thorelen, can I send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    thorelen Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?