cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Can't load this file type. This file type is unsupported here." when uploading certain filetypes

"Can't load this file type. This file type is unsupported here." when uploading certain filetypes

LB851
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am new to Dropbox. I started adding some files and when I clicked on a couple of the files it said "Can't load this file type. This file type is unsupported here." I tried with two different files. They are not typical files as they are from a design software and gcode. Is there a way to save these files in Dropbox and be able to access them? I also need to access them on multiple devices. Is this possible? Reading the features I thought this would work but I didn't know you wouldn't be able to open certain file types. Is there a way to set it up to open the file directly in the program I need to use it in? I am currently using the free plan. Not sure if that makes a difference. Thank you. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@LB851 wrote:

... when I clicked on a couple of the files it said "Can't load this file type. This file type is unsupported here."

That just means that Dropbox isn't able to show a preview of the file because it doesn't understand what it is. Only certain files types support previews. You can still store your files in Dropbox and open them in whatever application created them.

I also need to access them on multiple devices. Is this possible?

Yes.

... I didn't know you wouldn't be able to open certain file types.

As long as you have an application installed that can open the file, you'll be able to open it.

Is there a way to set it up to open the file directly in the program I need to use it in?

Your operating system handles that; not Dropbox. When you install an application it registers itself with your OS and basically says "Hey! I support these file types!" Then when you click on a file in your Dropbox folder, your operating system knows which program to send the file to.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@LB851 wrote:

... when I clicked on a couple of the files it said "Can't load this file type. This file type is unsupported here."

That just means that Dropbox isn't able to show a preview of the file because it doesn't understand what it is. Only certain files types support previews. You can still store your files in Dropbox and open them in whatever application created them.

I also need to access them on multiple devices. Is this possible?

Yes.

... I didn't know you wouldn't be able to open certain file types.

As long as you have an application installed that can open the file, you'll be able to open it.

Is there a way to set it up to open the file directly in the program I need to use it in?

Your operating system handles that; not Dropbox. When you install an application it registers itself with your OS and basically says "Hey! I support these file types!" Then when you click on a file in your Dropbox folder, your operating system knows which program to send the file to.

LB851
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Rich, 

thank you for your reply. It is also prompting me to download the file. So does that mean I will need to download the file to my computer each time I want to access it? Also, doesn't that defeat the purpose of using Dropbox to store my files if I will have to download it to my computer anyway? Or am I missing something as far as opening the file once in Dropbox? When I click on it, I only have the option to download. Thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@LB851 wrote:

It is also prompting me to download the file. So does that mean I will need to download the file to my computer each time I want to access it?

Your computer can't open a file if it's not on your local drive or a drive that it can access, so yes, the file would need to be downloaded to open it on your computer.

Also, doesn't that defeat the purpose of using Dropbox to store my files if I will have to download it to my computer anyway?

The main purpose of Dropbox is to sync the files that are located in your local Dropbox folder with your account online, and to any other device where Dropbox is installed. It's not a cloud-based drive where your files only exist online or a network drive like you would have in an office environment. Yes, it has some features to only store files online, but this is meant as a way to save local drive space and those files still need to be made local again if you wish to open them.

When I click on it, I only have the option to download.

So you're only working with the Dropbox website? You haven't installed the Dropbox application? If that's the case, then you need to upload and download files as needed. To open a file locally you would have to download it first. If you make any changes you would then have to upload it back to Dropbox.

The easier method is to install the Dropbox application so your files sync, then just work directly in your local Dropbox folder.

LB851
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ok, thank you. I appreciate your help! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LB851 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?