cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 5 days stuck 'indexing' since updating on Mac

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated. We have confirmed that the problem with resyncing has been resolved with macOS Sonoma 14.1. Users should not experience a resync when upgrading to 14.1.

Upgrading to 14.1 will prevent resyncing, but it will not resolve this issue for users who have already become 'stuck' on the resync upon upgrading to 14.0. We can help, but we're asking that users contact support for individual assistance.

Regards,

Ben

View solution in original post

331 Replies 331

TimNor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

5 days stuck 'indexing' since updating on Mac

Often can't access any files on my computer

Any ways to fix this please?

Thank you

Tim

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @TimNor, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

What version of the Dropbox desktop application are you currently running on it?

Is the Dropbox folder located in the CloudStorage location?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TimNor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you.

I've now fixed it by signing out & signing back in again. 

jfm000
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

same for me, I cannot access files after last update!!! Macbook Pro Monterrey 12.6.3

acej
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I've got this same problem, have lost all sync of Dropbox files on my computers' hard drives and with the online platform.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @jfm000 and @acej

Can you let me know for how long has your Dropbox app been indexing files? 

Also, what’s its current app version?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

acej
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

It was trying to sync over 300 files for several weeks until I found a kind of solution. From another thread the recommendation was to sign out (not just Quit) from Dropbox and sign back in - to stop the syncing of the files that wouldn't stop.. So I did that on both of my computers, and then reinstalled the OLD Dropbox which is so much better that the awful NEW version they are so heavily pushing. The only/major problem that I lost some files and had to resort from an old folder because the reinstall reverted back to the version of the files/folders that were in use back when I "updated" to the latest version. The new version is really awful, buggy and ridiculously terrible. So happy I'm back on the old version so I can see my folders/locations easily. Knowing that, Dropbox will probably eventually force us all to "upgrade". Does anyone know any alternatives besides Google docs? Dropbox's customer support is non-existent, very irresponsible especially for show an app that we rely on.

jfm000
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Dropbox not working well on newest Mac version

acej
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

No, it's terrible. They really messed up a good thing.

Need more support?