cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android application doesn't work on latest android (Samsung S23)

Android application doesn't work on latest android (Samsung S23)

atmegadriverrr
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello!

I'm trying to install the Dropbox application on my smartphone, but unfortunately something goes wrong.

First, as usual, I enter my credentials,

photo_2023-02-09_00-22-17.jpg

then 2-step verification code,

photo_2023-02-09_00-22-21.jpg

application seems to be started, then asks a permission "allow notifications": allow or disable. But then, regardless the choice, the screen starts blinking and does not react on touches. Then I stop the application manually, and when I try to launch it again, only bluescreen with dropbox logo appears and lasts forever.

photo_2023-02-09_00-22-04.jpg

I've installed the android application many times on different devices, all worked fine. But this time with this phone something is definitely wrong.

My device is Samsung S23 Ultra (SM-918B/DS 512Gb). Latest updates, Android 13. Latest Dropbox application from Play Market.

I've recorded the video with this bug (10 Mb, 1 min): 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9prndfmpgyf47e/video_2023-02-09_00-22-26.mp4?dl=0

I really enjoy using dropbox, so if it's necessary, I can provide additional information to make it better.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

atmegadriverrr
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The answer is simple: I just paid for "plus" plan and now all works fine.

But I don't understand, why the application does't simply inform the user about this issue? It really seems like the problem is in application, not in payment, free space or something else.

Hope that dropbox team will add some sort of notification or error screen.

Thank to all! Problem solved.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @atmegadriverrr, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We really appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this info, screenshots and screen recording.

Can you try restarting your device, to see if that helps?

Also, can you make sure that you have at least 500mb available storage on your phone (not Dropbox)?

Let me know what you find.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

atmegadriverrr
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello, Hannah!

I've tryed:

1. Clear application data and cache: the application starts "from scratch", but the behaviour is the same.

2. Tryed to uninstall and install it again. The same.

3. Tryed to unistall, reboot the phone, install again. All the same...

Yes, I've cheched, there is no need in free phone space (more than 300 Gb available).

I've installed application on several phones and tablets, the problem appears only on my new one, as I wrote: Galaxy S23 Ultra.

I can provide the application log, if you tell me, where it's located.

Thank you!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @atmegadriverrr, are you on a Dropbox Basic plan and do you have more than 3 devices currently connected to your account?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

atmegadriverrr
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello, Jay!

Yes, you're right, I found that I have more than 3 devices and free plan.

But nevertheless, I think, the application should notify the user about that issue, and not simply crash...

And I'm afraid that even if I buy the storage plan, the application wouldn't work.

Thank you!

atmegadriverrr
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hoped, that there would be some changes, maybe updates, but nothing. Just tested - all the same.

But then I've found a comment from april 2022 (to be more precise, it's the top comment on play.market) with exactly the same problem.

Cite:

"Awful app. It started screen blinkin while login and password is been checked. I had to stop app. When I start it again it shows empty blue screen with white logo and does nothing. Stop adding features, fix bugs. By the way, the desktop app became awful too. It seems that dropbox team attempts to replace operating system and all software that I have. It's a bad idea. Make the best file sync app not another office-photoshop-etc. all-in-one."

It seems that the problem is present for at lest 1 year, but nobody fixes it.

Screenshot 2023-02-12 205726.png

atmegadriverrr
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The answer is simple: I just paid for "plus" plan and now all works fine.

But I don't understand, why the application does't simply inform the user about this issue? It really seems like the problem is in application, not in payment, free space or something else.

Hope that dropbox team will add some sort of notification or error screen.

Thank to all! Problem solved.

Sta91
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I have plus and it's still isn't working for me. There's no where it allows me to give permission to access storage or files and media. Permission is already given for everything floating photos. So frustrating!

Mrskelbo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Me too. I pay for the plus and have done for several years. But for some reason, despite all possible permissions being granted...it's still telling me to go to phone settings and allow access to storage but that's not an option in permissions on the Samsung s23 Ultra. The app has not backed up any photos since December 2023. But pointless oayi G for something if its not doing what it's supposed to do. Really disappointing after using Dropbox since 2015.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Sta91 and @Mrskelbo, sorry to hear about this.

Can you please send us a screenshot of the error you're getting, so we can take a closer look?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Mrskelbo New member | Level 2
    Sta91 Explorer | Level 4
    atmegadriverrr Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?