cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Drag and Drop into Dropbox from Finder Sidebar

Can't Drag and Drop into Dropbox from Finder Sidebar

lehestro
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I hope this is the correct place to post this. I commonly drag things from a local drive into Dropbox in Finder, using the sidebar, usually to upload for client access. It is a common enough action that the following problem is a significant workflow hampering. 

When I try to drag things into dropbox using the sidebar, it won't let me. A slashed-through circle icon appears. Why is this? Is it a permissions thing? Can this be fixed? 

I know it does no good, but I must be allowed a short rant. Dropbox worked FINE. I don't know why this new "update" needed to happen (demands of Apple's increasingly strict OS updates?), but it is just so frustrating when an "update" is not as functional as previous versions. Now I have to take 10 minutes out of my day to post about this in hopes that there is a fix. There are workarounds, sure, but you do this action 100s of times a day, the extra 3-4 seconds it takes adds up. Also it's a just a dumb problem to be having. 

Ok rant over. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

billgdbx
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

@hughH thanks for the screenshot, this actually moved me along.  There's definitely an issue with dragging and dropping to "Dropbox" in Favorites in the Sidebar.  There is also a Locations section below Favorites in the Sidebar, which contains the same Dropbox folder (but with the Dropbox logo).  I confirmed that dragging to Favorites in fact doesn't work, but dragging/dropping to the folder in Locations does work.  I also confirmed that, while dragging/dropping to the toplevel Dropbox folder in Favorites does not work, if you have a sub-folder of Dropbox in Favorites, you can drag/drop to that.

The attached photo shows the Dropbox folder in Locations, and the move working.  You can also see Dropbox in Favorites above--moving to that spot does not work.  We'll look into that.  Meanwhile, I hope that you can work around this issue by dragging/dropping to Locations rather than Favorites on the Sidebar.

Image1.jpeg

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @lehestro, thanks for reaching out to our Community today.

We appreciate your feedback about our desktop app, but let's look into this.

If you quit the Dropbox app, are you seeing the same behavior?

And are you having this issue only with the Dropbox folder or other folders in your Finder as well?

Let me know what you find.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lehestro
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Hannah, thanks for the reply. To answer your questions:

1) Yes, this behavior continues even if I quit the Dropbox app

2) This is the only folder that has this issue. It only started when I updated to the new version of the Dropbox app for macOS.  Even other cloud service folders work fine in the sidebar. It is only Dropbox that has this issue. I am using v171.4.6182

billgdbx
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

I tried this and I found that it works for my personal Dropbox, but not my Team account.  Is this possibly a team or enterprise Dropbox you're having the issue with?  

Also, I hear your rant and I identify with it.  These changes are largely mandated by new OS interfaces that we need to conform to.  

lehestro
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply (and your sympathy). I don't have a team account. Just the one dropbox account. 

hughH
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same thing happens to me. I agree with the rant entirely. You broke something that wasn't broken.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey guys, I hope you're doing well! 

Can I send you a ticket, in order for us to have a closer look into this? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

lehestro
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes please, that would be most welcome, thank you!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I just sent you an email, I'll see you there @lehestro

Megan
dropbox.com/support

renabur
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem and need to drag files from my local drive into dropbox folder all the time. Can you help, please?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

YElan New member | Level 2
    billgdbx Dropbox Engineer
    hughH Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?