cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drobox client open but won't start (Stuck in a loop)

Drobox client open but won't start (Stuck in a loop)

SamuelMelle
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, I really need your help with this problem I have on Windows 10 ( Build 19044.2130) with Dropbox (Version 159.4.5870)!

Since a week, when I start my PC regularly I usually get a massage from the dropbox client after 10 minutes or so that it cant initialize correctly and needs either to restart or close entirely. In other words the client is not working properly. 

To fix this problem I did a fresh install of the newest version of the client. Now, after entering my credentials to login. I get to the screen where it says "done" or "advanced installation settings" (where you can choose your dropbox folder to be or what folders to sync with this device).

When I click done, the window closes and the client is running in my taskbar. (little icon). But it is grey, and when I hover it, it says "starting". When I open the client it does an infinite loading animation and says "starting" in the lower left corner (See pics).

When I click on the gear icon there is the option to "Login". But I did login before like 10 seconds ago. Also after a while the login window opens again and I need to type my login details in again. 

When I do that again I get to the same screen again. When I choose "advances settings" and click on either "Where Dropbox folder located" or on "Choose folder to sync", the buttons morph to an animation which is also an infinite loop. No explorer window opens or anything else, it is just stuck in a loop. 

Im clueless what to do now. I even followed your guide on how to do a clean install (clear all folders manually + clear registry).

What did I miss? (If youre wondering my Dropbox is in German)

Pic 1When I click on the iconWhen I click on the icon Pic 2When I hover the icon in the taskbarWhen I hover the icon in the taskbar Pic 3When I choose what folders to sync it shows this infinite loop and  it wont open any windowWhen I choose what folders to sync it shows this infinite loop and it wont open any window

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @SamuelMelle, sorry to hear about this.

Could you download and install the latest, stable version of the desktop app from this page and let me know how it goes?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

SamuelMelle
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

So appearently it works now again. I did not change anything. From one moment to another it just started logging me in and worked again. 

Strange! If the issue keeps coming back I will update this thread!

SamuelMelle
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

So now I'm at the beginning again. It's the same problem like before. Also when it "worked" Dropbox would randomly crash ("quit unexpectedly") every 10 minutes. I really need some help. I also tried to fix the crashing issue with the "Alt + h" in the Profile tab method and it did not help at all. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @SamuelMelle, sorry to hear about this.

Could you download and install the latest, stable version of the desktop app from this page and let me know how it goes?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

SamuelMelle
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, I already did that multiple times. With the normal installer, as well as with the offline installer (x64). Nothing fixed the issue. Right now it seems to work again (I changed nothing). Let's just wait and hope for the best. If the problem recures I will reinstall Dropbox with the installer from the link you sent me. I'll keep you updated!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that it  works now @SamuelMelle - thanks for keeping me in the loop too.

Let us know if anything else comes up!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

SamuelMelle
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

So the problem did come back. I uninstalled Dropbox and installed the version you linked me. It did not fix the problem.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @SamuelMelle! I hope you’re doing well. 

Just to clarify, does this issue occur every time you restart your device? Also, do you keep receiving the same "Dropbox has unexpectedly quit” error, even now? 

Can you please check all the info provided here, and let me know if any of it seems to help?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

SamuelMelle
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, right now it seems to work again after installing the version provided by you. It stopped crashing and it starts and syncs normally. Thank you very much! 

I will mark this post as solved until the error comes back. If that happened I will reply to your last comment. Thank you in advance and I hope the error won't come back again!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Fingers crossed! 

In case you need any further help though, I’ll be around the Community. 

Have a wonderful weekend ahead.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    SamuelMelle Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?