cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Not Syncing to Original Folder after App Reinstall

Dropbox Not Syncing to Original Folder after App Reinstall

dmth
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dropbox App was failing to Sync and could not recognize that an account was signed in. 

Reinstall completed, once done a new folder was created instead of pointing and resyncing the original Dropbox folder that is still on the computer. 

Original folder name was Dropbox (Team), the new folder is (Team) Dropbox. Does the change in naming convention have to do with why it did not sync?

Are there steps that I missed when reinstalling? Can I point Dropbox to the original folder?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

As The Dropbox folder has moved the app would need to point to the new location, since now that is the place where files will be syncing from now on. 

The old folder will no longer sync to Dropbox, so the app you're using would have out-of-date files.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @dmth, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It sounds like your Dropbox Business team was switching to the new structure, which has been mentioned in this thread.

Once the change was complete, it should index the files in the new location, which can take some time, and then syncing to continue as normal. 

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

dmth
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Jay,

Regarding this change, does that mean that the previous Dropbox folder can no longer be synchronized with the App? The issue here is that the end user has documents they've worked on that failed to sync to Dropbox because of a previous issue with the App. Now that I've reinstalled the App and a new folder has been created on the Desktop, does that mean the end user needs to copy the documents to the new Dropbox folder?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you reinstalled the app, it depends on how the app is processing the change. It could be moving files from the old folder to the new Dropbox folder, and then would delete the old folder.

Another possibility, is that it created a new folder entirely and is downloading the files from the Dropbox site directly.

Which Dropbox folder has syncing icons on it?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

dmth
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, 

Per the below image, the currently syncing folder is the one labeled CBD Dropbox. The old folder was Dropbox (CBD). I am trying to get the app to point to the old folder so that it can sync the documents that the end user was working on without them needing to move the documents manually to the new folder. Is that possible? I've also had a support case submitted but it was closed without warning, and I've attempted to reopen the case but have not heard back as of yet. 

Dropbox Folders.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

As The Dropbox folder has moved the app would need to point to the new location, since now that is the place where files will be syncing from now on. 

The old folder will no longer sync to Dropbox, so the app you're using would have out-of-date files.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    dmth Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?