cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app won't start on M1 Mac running Big Sur

Dropbox app won't start on M1 Mac running Big Sur

MikeLV
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I just got a new MacBook Air M1 running BigSur.  Dropbox does show up in the Finder sidebar and it appears the Dropbox files and folders on my Mac have synced with Dropbox.com.  However the dropbox icon does not show up in the tool bar at the top of the screen.  Plus, I downloaded the Dropbox app but it won't start.  error message is shown below.  I am not on a network share.  Don't know what is the deal with permissions.  Suggestions?

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 9.46.41 AM.png

25 Replies 25

Tim T.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Same result. After install and login, when I hit the Next button (to open the app), I get the same error. I have never moved my Dropbox folder. I ran the app fine for months after migrating to my new Mac. This error just started a few weeks ago. Should I have disabled the admin privileges of the user before running the installer? I had them on to run the suggested Terminal commands. I left admin privileges on when installing. I am at a loss, and this is causing major headaches for two work projects. I have to download files from the web version of Dropbox, modify them and them upload them back. There's lots of room for problems. My local Dropbox no longer reflects the online version (not sync'd, because I cannot get Dropbox app to start. Here's the full log:

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 127.4.4265
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 48
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 70cb2f9b-0398-5ffb-bcd1-06f602617645
pid: 8824
ppid: 1
uid: 502
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='tntozer', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='T N Tozer', pw_dir='/Users/tntozer', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='tntozer', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='T N Tozer', pw_dir='/Users/tntozer', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 502
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'tntozer', '_nsurlstoraged'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'tntozer', '_nsurlstoraged'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
     real_path='/'
            mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
     parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/tntozer'
appdata: '/Users/tntozer/.dropbox/instance1'
         real_path='/Users/tntozer/.dropbox/instance1'
                mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
         parent mode=0o40755 uid=502 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/tntozer/Dropbox'
              real_path='/Users/tntozer/Dropbox'
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                      mode=0o100755 uid=502 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                      not found
                parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/nb/wl1n6xsd5f9__bw4ldx8gl9w0000gp/T'
         real_path='/private/var/folders/nb/wl1n6xsd5f9__bw4ldx8gl9w0000gp/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 827, in wrapper
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6650, in finish_dropbox_boot
  File "dropbox/client/message_queue.pyc", line 307, in _wrapped
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6147, in _init_components_for_account
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6073, in create_sync_engine
  File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 225, in make_sync_engine
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 278, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 219, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.pyc", line 150, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 223, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 591, in _init_new_engine_locked
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 182, in __init__
  File "desktop/extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 76, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Marking Nucleus cache directory as ignored |>> Writing to xattr |>> fsetxattr syscall: write_xattr |>> Permission denied"

MikeB2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

So, it turns out my anti-ransomware (folder/file protection) software was causing issues.  It may have started to block Dropbox after an update or something(?)  I removed then restored authorization for Dropbox to access my protected folders (including the Dropbox folder), and it seems to be working again.

Tim T.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I tried this (removing then reauthorizing the anti-ransomware protection). It didn't work for me (at least immediately). Did you need to do the advanced install again (e.g., remove authorization, then do advanced install, then re-authorize protection)?

MikeB2
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I ran the advanced reinstall, it didn't work.  Then I updated the protection software, and Dropbox started working immediately...

Tim T.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

It definitely has to do with my Anti-virus software (includes ransomware protection). If I remove the Dropbox app's access in the anti-ransomware section of the software, and the Dropbox files from the list of protected folders, then do an advanced install, then Dropbox will start. If I add Dropbox access and folders back into ransomware protection, Dropbox will still run. However, if I have to quit Dropbox (or, for example, restart the Mac), when I try to restart Dropbox I get the same can't launch Dropbox error—even if I have the antivirus/anti-ransomware software turned off. Then I have to go through this whole process again. I don't know a working solution. I'll contact the antivirus software developer and see if they changed something a few weeks ago.

Tim T.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I've tried several tests (one thing was to turn off full disk access for Dropbox in the macOS System Preferences). 

The reality is that, if I have anti-ransomware protection authorizing Dropbox access and protection of the Dropbox folder, Dropbox cannot start if opened. If those protections are turned off and the antivirus software is quit, Dropbox will open. Once Dropbox has started, the antivirus software can be opened and anti-ransomware protections configured for Dropbox. They have to be deleted and the software quit before re-starting Dropbox.

A fudgy-work-a-round, but it works for now.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Tim T. Explorer | Level 3
    MikeB2 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?