cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install Dropbox on Windows 10 - The installer encountered error 2

Unable to install Dropbox on Windows 10 - The installer encountered error 2

MarianR
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 Home 20H2 19042.985.  I kept receiving a message that Dropbox needed to be updated.  So, finally I tried it.  It would download and run and close right away.  I tried all sorts of things to try and get it installed.  I was able to start the install when I booted in Safe mode with Networking turned on.

I tried both the installer that downloads the image, and the one that indicates it is a full install with no network connection required (which is false, it would not run unless I was connected to the internet.

I have finally goto the point where the installer does download things and then runs.  But then the following error comes up:

MarianR_0-1621778783005.png

When OK is clicked I get the following:

MarianR_1-1621779063140.png

I have the latest version of Chrome, which is my default browser.  If you notice the above image it is Windows Explorer that opens up.  I updated Edge to the latest version, FireFox, etc.  Nothing works.  

I have read a lot of updates in the community with people who have gotten the same errors.  I have tried many of them with no success.  Is there a really true offline installer that needs no internet connect?  Then once I get it installed I could boot out of safe mode and make the connection to my Dropbox account?

Or, is there a way to correct the error?  Right now the only way I can access Dropbox is via the Web browser.  

Any help you can give so that I can get this installed will be appreciated.

Marian

20 Replies 20

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @divakar, thanks for commenting here. 

Can I email you, so we can look into this?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    divakar New member | Level 2
    erzzzzzzz New member | Level 2
    user918384 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?