cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Stuck "indexing"

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

331 Replies 331

OceanSunrise
Collaborator | Level 8

@cloudres  Thanks for posting this.   Did you also do a uninstall/reinstall after you logged out?

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

@OceanSunrise I didn't uninstall DropBox. Just unlink the account.

kurtrichard
New member | Level 2

Dropbox is stuck at "indexing" for weeks on my Mac (macOS Sonoma 14.0). Tried quitting/restarting dropbox, tried to pause indexing for a while. None of that worked.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @kurtrichard, I moved your post to this relevant thread, so you can take a look at Ben's solution here.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kurt S.4
New member | Level 2

Hi Hannah

Thanks, but has no solution. In that thread he only writes that want should contact dropbox and ask for individual advice.

Teddy73
Collaborator | Level 9

Hello fellow sufferers,

Another week has past. Dropbox still isn't working for me.

I had partial success, it did stop "Indexing" on a Mac I did a clean install (Sonoma 14.1) on and only installed Dropbox (v186.4.6207) and this made me so excited.

So I then followed the prompt and upgraded it to File Provider, this worked also, I was so happy!

Dropbox went back to "indexing" but I thought this will be ok, it will finish soon and everything will be ok.

Sadly that was 2.5 days ago, it is still "indexing".

If anyone has had any success, could you please share what you did.

Kurt S.4
New member | Level 2

For the ones of us where dropbox is being stuck on "indexing", this means that dropbox is broken (at least for the time being). So currently we are paying for a broken product, and on top of that spent a lot of hours trying to fix the broken product. What I miss so far from the dropbox team is the sense of urgency in the matter. For example I was sent a dropbox-community link to where it said that I should look at this "solution", but it turned out to be an "answer" with no solution. What is needed is that the dropbox technicians make this problem an urgent high-priority problem,  and send as a solution. For us, dropbox is broken, and we need to know how to fix it. When we will hear from dropbox team that they are working on this problem in a high-priority urgency manner and will inform us as soon as possible about the solution?

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

@Teddy73 did you previously fix the issue in this way? 

Teddy73
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi @cloudres I didn't previously fix it that way you suggested.

Instead, I did a clean install of Sonoma 14.1 and then without installing any other software, or changing any system settings, I installed Dropbox (v186.4.6207).

I then went through the standard installation steps and chose to sync one small folder to the Mac and left it to index, this took several days (it is a spare MacBook so I was able to use this as a test device) I connected it to ethernet and it's status was "indexing" for about 3 days. I kept checking it and I assumed it was unsuccessful as it was stuck "indexing". However, on the third day I noticed it was no longer "indexing". So I became happy. I thought it had worked. I then selected to update to File Provider as I knew this has to be done. File Provider was updated, with my Dropbox folder having been moved to the new location. Everthing seemed to have worked. I was happy. It was "indexing" but I thought this was ok, it maybe had to re-do this. However, it has been stuck "indexing" ever since, 4 days now. 

I have communicated this to Dropbox technical support. They have not responded as yet. 

As each day, week and now month passes and this problem isn't fixed, I become more and more disillusioned. It's been 7 or 8 weeks I haven't been able to use Dropbox now. 

dlsheng
Explorer | Level 3

Since I updated my mac to Somona 14.1.1, Dropbox stopped working and is stuck syncing forever.

What I have done:

1. Restart Dropbox and Macbook, didn't work.

2. Reinstall Dropbox, didn't work.

3. Make sure Dropbox app has full disk access, still didn't work.

Any idea how to solve this?

Need more support?