cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background Automatic Upload Has Never Worked on my iPhones.

Background Automatic Upload Has Never Worked on my iPhones.

Sparky P
Explorer | Level 4

The automatic background photo upload function has never worked on any of my iPhones (current one is 11), and yes, I have rebooted the phone. Photos will only upload from the phone when I open the a Dropbox app. Please help!

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Sparky P, welcome to our Community! 

Keep in mind that camera uploads on iOS devices no longer use location services to keep the Dropbox app active in the background. You can see more about this here

Have you tried clearing your app's cache like so?

- Navigate to the “Account” tab.
- Tap the gear icon in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen.
-Select "Clear Cache."

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sparky P
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan,

Thanks for your message.

I did what you suggested but it made no difference.

I just found a post from one of your engineers which explains that due to the limitations of the iOS operating system that the automatic background camera upload function effectively doesn't work.

Below is a cut & paste of that post - please advise if it is correct and current.

Thanks,

Mark

Dropbox Staff

‎01-27-2022 09:12 AM

Hey darh,

I'm really sorry you have been getting conflicting information.  I'm an engineer who works on the iOS Camera Uploads feature and I am going to do my best to explain why this seems broken and give you a complete and correct picture of how the feature works.  

SparkyP_2-1710863861901.png

Firstly, we do support background uploading of images using our Camera Uploads feature.  In fact, most uploads happen in the background.  Millions of images are uploaded this way every month using the Dropbox iOS app.  However, it works very differently than most users expect.  This is where the "the limitation is because of Apple" part comes in.

On iOS, there is no way for an application (besides Apple's applications) to stay running indefinitely in the background.  We can only request time and wait for it to be granted by iOS.  Usually we get it for somewhere between 30 seconds to 4 minutes at a time depending on a whole bunch of variables like whether you're actively using the device or whether it is charging.  We also do not get notified directly about new images being taken with the camera.  We simply have to wait until iOS gives us time in the background to check.

We no longer use location services to get background time, as we agree with you that it was not a good way of doing things and iOS has given us Background App Refresh, described above, to get background time properly.  This new way of getting background time did not exist back when the original Camera Uploads feature was designed.  Back then, many applications used location services to get reliable background time, even if they didn't need location information.

So you're probably seeing behavior from the app that looks like it's not uploading in the background because you launch the Dropbox app and watch it upload your latest images.  However, I can tell you from what I see we are getting some background time on your device and appear to be properly uploading photos when new ones are available.  This background behavior is very sporadic and much of it is likely to happen when you're not using your device.  This way, it doesn't drain your battery or slow down your phone when you are using it.  If you need something synced right away, the only way to be sure it happens is to launch the Dropbox app directly.

I understand this is not ideal, but it is the best we can do with the limitations of the iOS operating system.  I'm sorry you have had so much trouble getting proper information on this behavior.  I hope I've clarified things for you.

I'm working with our support staff to clarify how this works so that users like yourself get the correct information the first time they ask.  If you have further questions, please let me know!

Jim

Software Engineer @ Dropbox

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Sparky P, this is indeed correct & up-to-date info. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Sparky P
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Megan. In that case it seems like the advice given to customers regarding the same issue is totally spurious... Why are customers being instructed to do such things as empty the cache when the real issue is that this function simply doesn't really work?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Sparky P,  I'd also share Jim's response with you, but I wanted to ask you to clear your cache, to make sure the app is on top of its performance. 

It wouldn't "fix" background uploading, since this has to do with how Apple reacts with Dropbox, but it would somewhat help when it comes to background uploading. 

I hope this clarifies! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Sparky P Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?