cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I scan to OCR and search receipts with a personal account in Dropbox?

Can I scan to OCR and search receipts with a personal account in Dropbox?

hammock
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

For reasons I won't waste time discussing, I have not been happy with Shoeboxed or Google Drive for storing receipts. I have a Dropbox account that I don't use for much and I wonder if it would suit my needs:

I'd like to scan receipts, using my phone camera, and be able to search for Store names and amounts listed on the receipts. I have read that Dropbox will do the OCR, at least if you scan the original from their mobile app (I already have lots of receipts in pdf but it appears that Dropbox will not OCR those). But I've just run several tests and it does not seem to work. By that, I mean that I get no search results when I search for an amount, e.g. 6.50 or "6.50" or a store name.

Can anyone confirm that I can scan to an OCR'd pdf and, if so, what might I be doing wrong? Thanks, this is actually a pretty big deal for me, as I have been trying for years to get a really reliable e-filing system for receipts.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @hammock 

If you are searching current images they wont be searchable unless you are on a paid account: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/sort-preview/image-search

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @hammock 

If you are searching current images they wont be searchable unless you are on a paid account: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/sort-preview/image-search

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

hammock
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Because I want to search pdfs, the applicable link seems to be https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/sort-preview/search-content, for "full text search." But your answer is substantively correct ("Full-text search is only available to Dropbox Plus, Family, Professional, and Business users.") and I appreciate your help. Thanks and thumbs up.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

hammock New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?