cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Mac Beta: Green Circles are gone - everything has the cloud symbol

Dropbox Mac Beta: Green Circles are gone - everything has the cloud symbol

THX1965
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am assuming work is being done in the background, but as of a few days ago, I no longer have green circles for downloaded (available offline) files. Everything has a cloud symbol (that symbol doesn't even exist in the online documentation) but seems to be available offline.

I am also getting lots of sync errors - but my files appear to be still on my computer (where I need them). And yesterday the DROPBOX icon disappeared from my sidebar (Locations). Only to show up again hours later. Strange.

What is going on? These sync irregularities seem to be quite substantial. Syncing files is what Dropbox is all about. I am a little surprised this beta version was even released to the public. When I joined the beta, the email I got from dropbox made it sound like the final release was imminent.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 10.00.32 PM.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @THX1965, can you also try out these steps? 

If you edit a file, does the small circular syncing icon like that on the article appear, even if momentarily? If you right/control click a file and choose either "make available offline" or "make online-only", do you see any change?

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @THX1965, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you just confirm that these are available offline by showing the context menu when right clicking one of the files?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

THX1965
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for responding, @Jay

They are available offline since I can open and play these audio files without downloading them (while being disconnected from the internet).

Below is a screenshot of what I see when I right-click on one of these files. I see the "make available offline" option. Does Dropbox think they are online only?

The Dropbox app also has been stuck on "indexing" for days now. Nothing seems to happen.

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 10.54.36 AM.png

THX1965
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am having lots of Dropbox sync issues, symbols not showing the actual status of files, and now - after restarting the Dropbox app - it says "Can't sync".

When I tried to restart the app again, it could not start, giving me an error message with a log file. I tried it again right away, this time it launched.

What should I do now?

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 10.11.49 PM.png

THX1965
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Jay - one more thing that may or may not have something to do with the strange sync icon behavior I am seeing -  my Dropbox App beta is no longer syncing.

I quit the app, and relaunched it (where I go ta few "can't start" error messages with log txt files). It now seems to be up and running, but it's been stuck in "indexing" forever. The even bigger problem is - nothing gets synced. - I have folders where I share urgent content automatically with business clients - they now can't get my files. My entire professional workflow has come crashing down.

I can't tell for sure when Dropbox stopped syncing - files that I added to a Dropbox folder on March 7 are available on Dropbox.com, but files from March 19 and later were not uploaded. I had not noticed and Dropbox did not give me any sync errors. Strangely, under "View sync issues" the Dropbox app shows no issues.

Of course, I tried all the steps Dropbox suggests when the app stops syncing (quit-relaunch, full disc access, accessibility, and so forth). Since this is a beta version, I am sure the fix is not that simple.

What shall I do now? I still have those txt logs. Who shall I send them to?

Thank you in advance.  Needless to say, this is a rather urgent matter.

THX1965
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Jay - I will of course still send you my txt log files, but I have decided to leave the Beta program. 

The problems I have been facing with this Beta version have brought my business down to its knees. I am moving back to repair the damage.

Again, the outreach by Dropbox to join the Beta - especially for macOS Venture users -  made it sound like a permanent switch to the new version was imminent (by the end of April at the latest if I remember this correctly). I expected a much better-functioning version of the app.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @THX1965, and I’m sorry to hear about the situation.

If you want, you can post the error log you’ve received here, so that we can take a look. 

Also, if you’ve already switched out of the beta version and you’re still having issues with your Dropbox account, please let me know.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

THX1965
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you @Nancy - I have attached the latest error log below.

Yes, I have switched out of the Beta and everything's syncing again. The sync status icons are the only thing I cannot get to work. There are none. I have tried all the tips on this forum (quit, restart, reinstall, full disk access on/off/on, force quit Finder...). No icons.

Thanks in advance.

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 171.3.6135
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 61
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 9fefeff3-887f-59e1-9589-c53169475207
pid: 64182
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='***', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Mark ***', pw_dir='/Users/****', pw_shell='/bin/zsh')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='(((', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Mark ***', pw_dir='/Users/***', pw_shell='/bin/zsh')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/****'
appdata: '/Users/***/.dropbox/instance2'
real_path='/Users/***/.dropbox/instance2'
mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/***/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/***/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
sys_executable: '/Users/***/Library/Application Support/Dropbox/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/****/Library/Application Support/Dropbox/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Users/****/Library/Application Support/Dropbox/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Users/****/Library/Application Support/Dropbox/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/39/yph90nr57_g2lyrx2qt1181c0000gn/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/39/yph90nr57_g2lyrx2qt1181c0000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 823, in wrapper
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6348, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox/client/message_queue.pyc", line 306, in _wrapped
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5890, in _init_components_for_account
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5814, in create_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 225, in make_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 243, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 324, in __init__
File "dropbox/client/gandalf/legacy.pyc", line 296, in add_on_changed_callback
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 487, in _update_feature_configs
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_thin_client.pyc", line 286, in UpdateFeatureConfigForFswRules
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/fp_client.pyc", line 236, in __getattr__
dropbox.sync_engine.nucleus.thin_client.exceptions.NucleusConnectionTimeoutError: Nucleus clients are not running. Connection error: Error Domain=com.dropbox.fileprovider.error Code=5 "(null)" UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x600001a5b840 {Error Domain=NSFileProviderInternalErrorDomain Code=12 "(null)"}}

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @THX1965, keep in mind that based on the log info you sent my way, it seems you're still using the Beta version, for the new macOS. 

I'm happy that everything is syncing as expected now! As for the syncing icons, that behavior would be expected due to the new update. 

You can see more about the new icons, in this Help Center article. If you have any questions, let me know! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

THX1965
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Megan - thanks for responding. The log was from before I left the Beta. I grabbed the log when Dropbox Beta told me it couldn't start. I thought it might be of interest to the dev team.

I have since clicked the button "Leave Beta" and the Dropbox folder was moved back into my user folder and popped back up under "Favorites" again.

I had sync icons in the Beta version (even though they didn't work correctly), but now I have none. I have also deleted the Dropbox app (and all connected little folders by using a de-installation app) and reinstalled it from the Dropbox website from scratch - just to make sure I use the latest official version.

This is what I am running at the moment:

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 11.32.06 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 11.41.41 AM.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jeff6 Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    THX1965 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?