cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox on my Mac not working since File Provider update. My files won't sync or open.

Dropbox on my Mac not working since File Provider update. My files won't sync or open.

reynlord
Explorer | Level 3

Ever since updating to the file provider for Mac OSX my dropbox just does not work. All offline files won't sync even if I ask to make them offline, nothing opens. Dropbox says 'syncing' no matter what I do (but without the normal telling me what speed or which files). Have tried 3 clean installs, upgraded to an extra TB (as I was on 1.9/2), cannot get it to work at all.

10 Replies 10

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @reynlord, let's jump into this together! 

The first thing that'd help me get an idea of what is happening syncing-wise is the app's version, and syncing status

You should be able to locate them by hovering your mouse over the little Dropbox icon, next to your WiFi on your menu bar. 

Keep in mind that after the migration to the new Dropbox for macOS on File Provider, your files need to be re-synced. Depending on the amount of files you have in your Dropbox, this may take some time to complete.

When did you make the update on your end? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

reynlord
Explorer | Level 3

An update is that the files eventually seem to sync but there is no speed, time left or showing of which files are uploading just 'syncing - 4 files'.  Which makes it very hard to tell if it's stuck syncing or know how long is left. Happneing since updating on Thursday last week. Everything has been relinked twice.

reynlord
Explorer | Level 3

i should add, uploading works to sync but 'make available offline' just doesnt work at all. nothing downloads or syncs but it says it has.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @reynlord, if you change an online-only file to available offline, do you notice any difference in the syncing icons of the file, by any chance?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

reynlord
Explorer | Level 3

Small files work fine, large files get a green tick immediately as if it's synced but it definitely isnt and won't open. There is no network activity happening. I can download the files from the dropbox website but obviously that's very annoying for large files.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @reynlord, yeah definitely. 

It's not the most convenient thing. Do you get any specific errors when trying to open a file? 

Because you mentioned that they won't open. 

If you could also attach some step-by-step screenshots of this, that'd be amazing, in order for us to have a visual too. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

reynlord
Explorer | Level 3

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 09.29.07.pngScreenshot 2024-04-18 at 09.29.47.png

Here you go. The files have the cloud icon suggesting they are online only, but also the green tick suggesting they are available offline, but they aren't. If I try and make available offline again, nothign happens. I can download the files from the dropbox website fine and they work, but I use dropbox for around 100gb of video a day, it's really not sustainable to do it this way.

Really disappointed

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @reynlord, I'd like for us to try one more thing.

I'd like for you to temporarily quit the desktop app, and then try to open these files. 

Do they preview without an issue? Also, how is the app's syncing status after this? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

reynlord
Explorer | Level 3

I have found the answer albeit temporarily and still with dropbox not working as I'd like. 

users/cloudstorage had saved an old version of my dropbox as well as the new file provider version and files were syncing to both places. I have moved the old folder to a hard drive and deleted it from my mac HDD and now files are syncing, however they do not show how much time is left or the speed. They just say 'syncing'Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 11.24.03.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    reynlord Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?