cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files not available offline - Mac OS Ventura

Files not available offline - Mac OS Ventura

ashcat
Explorer | Level 3

I’m using Dropbox Plus with Mac OS Ventura 13.3.1

My Dropbox files all suddenly became online-only, with the cloud / downward arrow icon next to them, I don’t know why.
I want them all back on my computer. I tried right clicking the Dropbox icon and selecting ‘Make available offline’. Dropbox spent some time syncing, and says 'Your files are up to date', but now most of my files have both the green tick circle and the cloud with a downward arrow, and they are not available offline.  I did this again for the main folders I have in Dropbox but it didn't help. 

If I double click on an individual file to open it, Dropbox does then download it and the cloud icon disappears for that file. Obviously I can't go through and do this for hundreds of files. 

Searching this forum, it seems to be an ongoing problem. The Dropbox tech team suggested opting out of the Mac Beta version, but when I go to Preferences -> General, there is no option to do this.
This is very frustrating. I tried the Dropbox online chat but they couldn't fix it. Can anyone help with fixing this?

11 Replies 11

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ashcat, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Just for clarification, if you mark a folder as online-only, then available offline, and let the files sync down, does it still have a cloud and green checkmark?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ashcat
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jay, thanks for responding. 
I did what you suggested. Unfortunately I'm still getting both cloud and green checkmark for that folder and all the files in it.

Is this a known bug?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info. If you're getting the two icons appearing on the folder, this would mean that one of the files in the folder is online-only. This article gives more information on this matter. 

Could you check inside the folder to see if there is an online-only file, by the icons shown?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

ashcat
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, what I'm saying is that pretty much EVERY file in the folder has both tickbox and cloud icons showing, and they all appear to be online only (e.g. the Mac spacebar Quick Look function doesn't work for them). If helpful I can send a screenshot.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

It shouldn't be possible for files to have both icons on them, unless these are package files which could contain their own hidden subfolders within the file. 

Could you attach a screenshot showing what you're seeing, while hiding any personal names and info. However, showing the file extensions would be helpful. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

ashcat
Explorer | Level 3

Here's a sample folder - they are all like this - all files, including PDFs, JPGs, Word docs have both icons next to them, and are offline.Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 10.40.00.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot, it's possible that this could happen if you moved to the File Provider version a year ago, and used the context menus to change the syncing status, and then upgraded to Mac OS 13. 

Could you try marking the entire Dropbox folder itself, by right clicking it directly, and choosing either Available offline or Online-only, and let me know how it goes?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

ashcat
Explorer | Level 3

I don't really understand what the File Provider version is. I don't think I've made any changes to my Dropbox account at all, other than upgrading to Dropbox Plus in November 2017.  Is this something you need to check on my account to find out what has happened?
All I know now is that I'm frustrated with these continuing issues and looking now to change to using a different company.

I did as you suggested last night - right clicked the entire Dropbox folder and chose Available Offline (I had already done this anyway - see my original post above). I watched it for a while and also left it overnight. 
The message in the Activity window (coming from the little Dropbox icon at the top right of my computer screen) switched between 'Your files are up to date' and 'Syncing' but it only synced a few files and then returned to saying 'Your files are up to date' without changing. 
Most of the files are still online only, and showing both tickbox and cloud / downward arrow. See screenshot showing folders in Dropbox, taken this morning. 
Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 10.22.23.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ashcat!

Keep in mind that Dropbox for macOS on File Provider (an extension for apps to access and manage remotely synced files) uses Apple's updated File Provider API.

That should target issues related to opening online-only files in third-party applications. For more info feel free to have a look here

Unfortunately, if those steps did not work, then we don't have a suggested recommendation at this time. However, our team is aware and working on these reports.

I hope this helps!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    ashcat Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?