cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access Dropbox preferences in Windows 11

How to access Dropbox preferences in Windows 11

jkj1
New member | Level 2
Hi folks, I use Windows 11 and somehow ticked automatic backup of computer files into Dropbox. Tried to change this in preferences but I am not sure how to access Dropbox preferences in Windows 11. Any help as to how to stop automatic back up or accessing preferences is much appreciated. JKJ1
17 Replies 17

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Hey @jkj1, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community!

You should be able to access the Dropbox preferences from the Dropbox icon in your system tray.

Once you locate them, you can follow the steps  here to disable computer backup.

Let me know how it goes!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

EricBuist
Explorer | Level 4

Why isn't there any answer, ever? Google more and more often directs me to dumb forum posts without any answer. Is it because people just gave up on doing anything with their computer? I don't care about why they did that, this is just a total non-sense shame for me. I spend my week trying, trying, trying, getting all sorts of issues, search on Google and fall almost systematically on posts with no answers or just repeats of non-working solutions. Dropbox preferences should be accessible by clicking on the Dropbox icon, then there should be an avatar icon at upper right corner, but I don't have the avatar icon. I tried multiple times, to no avail, no icon at upper right corner, and no answer anywhere about why I don't have the icon. Dropbox works correctly besides that though, so don't ask me to repeatedly reinstall, that won't help. Could it be that Google is now the "wrong" search engine and I need to use something else to get more useful results?

Rich
Super User II

@EricBuist wrote:

Dropbox preferences should be accessible by clicking on the Dropbox icon ...

It is.

... then there should be an avatar icon at upper right corner ...

There is.

The Dropbox icon you need to click is the one in your system tray, near the clock on your task bar. Click it once to open the app and you'll see your user icon in the upper-right corner. Click that and you'll get a menu where you can select Preferences.

9ce02a6a240a4963051f77c1301eba91.png

If you're on a Mac it's the same process, only the Dropbox icon will be on your menu bar, also near the clock.

EricBuist
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

The Dropbox window doesn't show up the icons.

Dropbox window.jpg

I just double checked and my screen resolution is still 1920x1080. I cannot switch to a 4K monitor or put my font size super small to sove this.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @EricBuist, sorry to jump in here, but have you rebooted your computer since you noticed this?

If you did and still can't see your profile's picture on the top right corner of the window that comes up when you click on the Dropbox icon in your taskbar, you might need to reinstall the app. 

Also, you didn't clarify, does adjusting your screen's resolution improve matters? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

EricBuist
Explorer | Level 4

I am already at 1920x1080 and didn't change that.

Yes I rebooted several times since I noticed the issue.

The only workaround I found is the press Ctrl-Space while Dropbox window is active, select Move in the menu and then move the window with arrow keys until the profile icon appears.

Rich
Super User II

@EricBuist wrote:

I am already at 1920x1080 and didn't change that.

What about your screen scaling? The Dropbox app doesn't always behave properly if you've changed the scaling of text/icons (125%, 150%).

EricBuist
Explorer | Level 4

Even with DPI scale set at 100%, I don't have the profile icon and some text in dialog box appears too small to read, like file properties in Explorer. I had to put it back at 125%.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @EricBuist, could you try quitting the Dropbox desktop application and restarting it, without rebooting, to see if the window appears at the bottom the next time?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    dneuman126 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?