cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to make a family photo site...

Wanting to make a family photo site...

ericg75
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

How to:   Create a photo file storage/sharing site where family members may ADD, COPY, comment on a large number of photos.  It sounds like something that DB does already- but I don't quite know how to start it up.  ??  Ideas, comments please.  I have my own website where I wanted to do this task- but as I said above, sounds like DB can already do what I am looking for-  I just need some assistance getting it started. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to jump in here, @ericg75!

So, what you'd like to do, can be accomplished in different ways through Dropbox:

1) By sharing a folder with your family with edit permissions; they'll be able to add/delete/edit/comment on the photos in the folder, but they'd need a Dropbox account with enough space, as the folder would need to be added to the account, for them to access it.

2) By sharing a view-only link to the folder; this would give them view/download/comment access on the photos, but they won't be able to add their own. For that you'd need to send them a file request, as the link doesn't give read-write access to the folder.

This way, they won't need a Dropbox account with enough space, or even a Dropbox account at all.

3) By upgrading your account to Dropbox Family; this would create a family account, to which you can invite your family members, share the space with them and give them access to the family room folder, where you can all contribute with your photos.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ericg75, thanks for messaging the Community!

Are you looking to use the Dropbox service in order to host the images?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

ericg75
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes.  I already have the photo library on DB.  It is just a matter of getting set up with link and then sharing that link-  and seeing IF I can share that linkfree for free.  ?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

So, just to clarify, you want other people to upload files into your Dropbox account, copy them to another account if need be, and also comment on the images? Is this correct?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

ericg75
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Yes. Essentially this thing will be a place to assemble family photos, make comments and copy any one they want.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to jump in here, @ericg75!

So, what you'd like to do, can be accomplished in different ways through Dropbox:

1) By sharing a folder with your family with edit permissions; they'll be able to add/delete/edit/comment on the photos in the folder, but they'd need a Dropbox account with enough space, as the folder would need to be added to the account, for them to access it.

2) By sharing a view-only link to the folder; this would give them view/download/comment access on the photos, but they won't be able to add their own. For that you'd need to send them a file request, as the link doesn't give read-write access to the folder.

This way, they won't need a Dropbox account with enough space, or even a Dropbox account at all.

3) By upgrading your account to Dropbox Family; this would create a family account, to which you can invite your family members, share the space with them and give them access to the family room folder, where you can all contribute with your photos.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

dandid
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

sounds like youre better off looking into google photos,

free accounts and shared access or viewing.

Drop box used to have a 'carousel' section that was pretty nice looking but I think they ditched it.

ericg75
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you all for this information-  it is very helpful to me getting started in this Family-Photo Album task.  I will review each method and decide which one to go with.  Even though I have my own web site- I know that hosting this on my own web site would be "recreating the wheel"

ericg75
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Admittedly I do not know what "host" means.  I want to share them with my family around the country. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

To host files means you want the photos to exist on your account, and others to access the content on your account via shared links or folders. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ericg75 Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    dandid Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?