cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simultaneously work on desktop version Excel files using the same Dropbox account

simultaneously work on desktop version Excel files using the same Dropbox account

federico00
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Good morning,
I have a Dropbox Basic account. I have linked my account to three devices in the house. Sometimes my partner and I need to simultaneously edit Excel files in my account. So we both log in with my Dropbox account on two different PCs on which there is the same Dropbox folder on the desktop, so we access the same identical files without any difficulty. The only problem is that when we open the same Excel file to make changes, Dropbox creates conflict copies. For our case, having a single Dropbox account in the family, is there a way to work simultaneously from two devices without having problems? I specify that, if possible, we would prefer to continue working with the desktop version on the PC and not online through for example office.com.
Thanks in advance.
Federico

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@federico00 wrote:

The only problem is that when we open the same Excel file to make changes, Dropbox creates conflict copies. ... if possible, we would prefer to continue working with the desktop version on the PC and not online through for example office.com.

If you're not using Office Online it's impossible to avoid conflicted copies when opening and saving the same file. You can use the Dropbox Badge to notify you when the other has the file open, but there's nothing to prevent you from opening the same file at the same time on a Basic account. If you were on a Professional or Business account you could lock the file. Of if you worked online, you could both edit the file simultaneously.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@federico00 wrote:

The only problem is that when we open the same Excel file to make changes, Dropbox creates conflict copies. ... if possible, we would prefer to continue working with the desktop version on the PC and not online through for example office.com.

If you're not using Office Online it's impossible to avoid conflicted copies when opening and saving the same file. You can use the Dropbox Badge to notify you when the other has the file open, but there's nothing to prevent you from opening the same file at the same time on a Basic account. If you were on a Professional or Business account you could lock the file. Of if you worked online, you could both edit the file simultaneously.

federico00
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks you have been very helpful.
Do you think we could use google sheet online and make sure that the changes made online are also synchronized with the file I have in my Dropbox box?
Or could I work on google sheet online while my wife is editing the same document that is on dropbox at the same time?

Thank you so much for your help.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@federico00 wrote:

Do you think we could use google sheet online and make sure that the changes made online are also synchronized with the file I have in my Dropbox box? Or could I work on google sheet online while my wife is editing the same document that is on dropbox at the same time?

I don't use Google Sheets collaboratively so I can't answer those questions.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    federico00 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?