cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All photos wiped from Camera Uploads folder; not uploading previously uploaded photos

All photos wiped from Camera Uploads folder; not uploading previously uploaded photos

Kardde
New member | Level 2

Not sure what happened here, as I didn’t change any settings anywhere.

Dropbox wiped out all the contents of my Camera Uploads folder, and is now only uploading some videos and recent/new photos, and is refusing to upload my entire Camera Roll album on my iPhone.

I have it set to upload all photos, the correct album is selected, and I have upload videos selected. It syncs new photos just fine and that seems to be working normally, but any older photos are not being uploaded. Right now my Camera Uploads folder has 230 items, when a few days ago it had over 9,000.

Luckily I hadn’t deleted the photos from my phone. If I had, with the assumption that Dropbox would keep my photos safe and secure, I’d be understandably furious.

As it is, I’ve already uploaded all my photos to both Amazon and Google photos, as I seemingly can’t rely on Dropbox.

In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas what broke that would have caused this?

2 Replies 2

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Kardde, thanks for joining our Community.

This is quite strange indeed, but let's look into it.

You mentioned that the photos were wiped; did you check your deleted files page and your events page, to see if you can locate the deletions?

If you can, try restoring the photos and then check the version history of the restored photos; you should be able to see which device they were deleted from.

Does that give you any clues as to what might have happened?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II

@Kardde wrote:

Dropbox wiped out all the contents of my Camera Uploads folder ...

Dropbox can't do that. It's not capable of deleting files on its own. If the files were deleted, either you or some other process is the cause. Look at your Events page for an entry showing the deletion, or restore one of the files, if you're able to, and check its version history to see where the deletion occurred.

... is now only uploading some videos and recent/new photos, and is refusing to upload my entire Camera Roll album on my iPhone.

Not sure how it is now, but in the past Camera Uploads wouldn't ever upload a photo or video that it had already uploaded. In order for Camera Uploads to reupload files again, it needed to be reset by Support.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?