cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't delete my OWN files!

Can't delete my OWN files!

widensteynie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

When I wanted to permanently delete a file or folder (which I may have shared with others or not). I used to be able to delete it in Finder and then would get asked by Dropbox:

Delete "untitled folder" from everyone's account and all devices?

I then confirm with "Delete for everyone" and proceed to empty the trash on my Mac.

Now I log on to my Dropbox account, go to "Deleted files" and select the ones I want to permanently delete.

Then confirm this and they were gone, space would be freed up.

Well, gone are those glory days of simplicity, because:

NOW I get told by Dropbox: "File XYZ will be gone forever for everyone, including for anyone still using the folder. Permanently deleting this folder won’t free up space."

I confirm by selecting "Permanently delete"

NOW I get the message: "x items couldn’t be permanently deleted"

Dropbox tells me – uselessly: "What you can do":

"Ask the owner to help permanently delete this"

I AM the #!*¥ owner, aren't I? Plus, didn't clicking "Delete for everyone" on the desktop version make it clear that ALL those files have to go?

Shurely this is a recent bug. It wasn't such a hassle before to get rid of old files. Or am I missing something?

Grrrrr

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @widensteynie, thanks for posting and welcome to our Community.

This error message appears when you're trying to delete a folder that you didn't create or are not the owner of. 

If you go to your 'All files' page on our website, and click on the share button next to the folder in question, who do you see as the owner? Is it you or someone else?

Let me know what you see.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @widensteynie, thanks for posting and welcome to our Community.

This error message appears when you're trying to delete a folder that you didn't create or are not the owner of. 

If you go to your 'All files' page on our website, and click on the share button next to the folder in question, who do you see as the owner? Is it you or someone else?

Let me know what you see.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

widensteynie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hey Hannah, thanks for being in touch so swiftly. You were right. When I check on the dropbox website, it says that I: "Can edit" but another person is "Owner", even if it was me who created the files. It seems that the person I am sharing the folder in question with automatically becomes "Owner" for all the files and subfolders I create in said location. I was, however, just now able to permanently delete several files of which I am definitely NOT "Owner" – when I click on the "share" button "Owner" is the person I am sharing the folder with and that I "can edit". I am quite sure I used to be able to permanently delete files in shared folders, either via Finder (Mac OS) or on the dropbox website. So, this random behaviour must be relatively recent.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @widensteynie, just to clarify something, deleting files normally automatically frees up space, so there isn't a need to permanently delete files, since the space has already been freed up.

This is only needed if you don't want to be able to recover the files.

You can permanently delete files in a shared folder you're not the owner of, if you were the one who uploaded those files in the first place. If you try to permanently delete a file that was uploaded by the other person, then you won't be able to do so.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Andyjenk2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
If I upload a file, am I not its owner? How does Dropbox assign ownership?I am confused!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Andyjenk2 , are you uploading a file to a private folder, a shared folder, or are you on a Dropbox Business team?

Could you clarify what issue you're experiencing, currently?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

New member | Level 2

I cannot delete certain file types even. I am using dropbox on ubuntu 20.04 -- on firefox. I am the singular user of this account. The files I am trying to delete are on a directory that is in the cloud only, I have other small directories on my computer that sync to dropbox. I transfer files from my local folder to this remote directory. I want to delete large files in my remote directory, however the large folders will simply refuse to delete when I tell them to. If I go in and start deleting the files in each folder SOME of them will delete, but others will not.

I cannot *believe* that *deleting* files is somehow a hard thing to do. Unless this is completely resolved as a chronic problem for me, I will be churning to a competitor.

New member | Level 2

Nevermind. I already went with Mega. What waste of money.

New member | Level 2

In my case this problem ended up be unsolvable so I left and went with mega.

Need more support?