cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot move files between dropbox and Backup

Cannot move files between dropbox and Backup

Briskola
Helpful | Level 7

Hello, before I did it quietly, but since the transition to Dropbox Backup took place, through the web page it is no longer possible to transfer dropbox files and put them in the backup folders or vice versa but it shows the text "Files can't be moved into backups". Please, can you put this feature back ?

Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 3.26.07 PM.png

16 Replies 16

Rich
Super User II

@Briskola wrote:

... it is no longer possible to transfer dropbox files and put them in the backup folders ...

It makes sense to me that a backup is meant to be just that; a backup of the files as they exist on the device being backed up. You shouldn't be able to modify the content of a backup. Seems that would defeat the intent.

If you need files backed up, move them into the folders being backed up on your computer so Dropbox can sync/back them up as intended.

Briskola
Helpful | Level 7

Yes it's true but before now you could do it and it was even more convenient since you put the file directly into the folder you wanted instead of putting it first in the Dropbox one and then in the Documents folder for example.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Briskola, thanks for your feedback on this - it's been noted in our system.

Let us know if you have anything else to add. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Briskola
Helpful | Level 7

Nope, this is the situation, I'd like to modify backed up folder from the web too like before this changes, since it now redirect to the relative Dropbox Backup page when I open a backed up folder 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Briskola, currently it isn't possible to modify any files in the backup from the Dropbox site.

This can only be done when changing the files directly on your machine, which will then sync to that backup with the changes.

Your feedback and comments are greatly appreciated!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sadlkfjbba
New member | Level 2

I've been a paying customer for many years and the removal of this function is rediculus.

I'll be using other cloud service providers.

It's not a wise strategy to change things that work well.

Dropbox used to be good.

Underline "used to"...

PS. Spare me the generic answer, thanks.

Briskola
Helpful | Level 7

Has anyone found a solution to  add or remove files to backup from web ?  

It is frustrating that this feature has been removed

Mike1975
Explorer | Level 3

Removing this function assumes that a user syncs everything between their computer and Dropbox. Personally I also use Dropbox to store items not on my machine, for example photos or videos that I don't want clogging up space on my laptop.

I used to use the web version of dropbox to move items that are on my machine desktop (and therefore synced to dropbox) to folders on dropbox not synced to my laptop, thereby removing them from my desktop but still on Dropbox. Working this way means I avoid having to upload those files to dropbox again, just so they can sit in a separate folder already in dropbox.

I've problem just confused the hell out of you (sorry). But this is a key feature of any cloud storage system.

Rich
Super User II

@Mike1975 wrote:

I used to use the web version of dropbox to move items that are on my machine desktop (and therefore synced to dropbox) to folders on dropbox not synced to my laptop, thereby removing them from my desktop but still on Dropbox.

And you can still do that. I do the same thing to move files into an un-synced folder so those files are removed from the computer but remain in my account online. Nothing has changed with that.

What this thread is referring to is the inability to modify a backup session, not the actual folders and files in your Dropbox account. When you use the backup feature to back up your key folders or an external drive to Dropbox, those backups are stored in a separate area in your account which isn't meant to be modified. The only way to change files in the backups, is to change those files on the computer or device being backed up and allow them to be backed up again.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Briskola Helpful | Level 7
    Mike1975 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?