cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File search issues with beta for Mac

File search issues with beta for Mac

daninSTL
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just installed the beta version a few days ago. I use Alfred as a superior alternative to Spotlight to search files etc. since installing the beta Alfred can’t find files in my Dropbox folder. I have talked to their customer support but they say it’s an issue with Dropbox and not them. Anyone having weirdness with file search using third party apps post upgrade to the Mac beta?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Thank you for reaching out about this issue and sorry about the problems you experienced. The issue you’re experiencing where files returned in a Spotlight search don’t open when clicked is a known issue and should have been fixed by updating your Mac to macOS 13.3. For more information on using Dropbox on macOS, visit this article.

View solution in original post

38 Replies 38

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @daninSTL, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Are your files available offline in your Dropbox folder?

What icon do you have next to the files themselves?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Malinalda
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same problem, I couldn't find any thing with Alfred or Spotlight after I agree to install the new beta Dropbox version and agree to move all my files to "new place".

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Welcome aboard the forum, @Malinalda!

Can you clarify what you mean when saying that you moved your files to the new place? 

Also, like @Jay asked above, can you let me know what type of syncing icons do you see next to your Dropbox files now? 

Cheers.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Malinalda
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello, thanks for help.

Now my files had been  moved to "/Users/user/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox" after recently update.

I made a screenshot and upload to this message

1663207387376.jpg.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update here, @Malinalda, and sorry to jump in.

If you right/control click on a file with the cloud icon, and change it to 'available offline', does searching for it work?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Malinalda
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for help. 

After making my files offline, macOS spotlight can find them, but Alfred still can not find anything.

drmacnut
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Aloha Nancy. I know I am coming in a month after your reply to @Malinalda about Spotlight apparently not working in the new Dropbox beta. I also have this issue. Here is some info:

1. I installed the Dropbox beta on Oct 18, 2022 on one of my iMac M1s which is now running Ventura 13.0 RC2 (22A380)

2. All files and folders are set to be local on the Mac, not "cloud only"; icons in the name column are all green checkmarks in small circles

3. Dropbox is v160.3.4650

4. Spotlight does not work at all on the Dropbox folder or any subfolder therein

5. I had macOS re-index the folder by adding the Dropbox folder to the Spotlight Privacy settings at the following location: System Settings > Siri & Spotlight > Spotlight Privacy. I then let the mds_stores, mds, and fileproviderd processes calm down to background levels (as ascertained using Activity Monitor), at which point I removed Dropbox from Spotlight Privacy. The same three processes ran at relatively high cpu usage for several minutes (my Dropbox folder is about 200GB in size) before settling down again.

6. At that point, I tried Spotlight again, but it still doesn't find anything in the Dropbox folder.

Please let me know if I can provide any other information that may help solve this problem.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @drmacnut, thanks for providing all this info!

Can you let me know what’s the current syncing status of your desktop app? 

Also, where’s your local Dropbox folder located at the moment?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

dr_chicken
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same issue. I have been on the macOS beta for months and just today Dropbox prompted me to move my files to ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox. Since that move, I cannot open files from Spotlight searches. Files/folders still show up when I search but single/double clicking on them does nothing.

I can click "Search in Finder" at the bottom of the Spotlight window to open a finder search and then open any Dropbox files/folders from there. The Dropbox files/folders I'm trying to open are fully synced and available offline. I right clicked on them, selected the offline option, and there is a green checkmark (no cloud) next to them.

Can anyone help?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Emmet Community Manager
    Max B. Dropbox Staff
    DropBozizzle Helpful | Level 5
    Guest57 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?