cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Vault won't give me access!!!

HELP! Vault won't give me access!!!

Walk Humongous
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I just set up Vault yesterday. I put in my most sensitive documents. I accessed them today and then "poof" I'm not allowed to access them. I can put in my correct password and it lets me in to the next stage but doesn't show my folders in Vault and says "you don't have permission to edit this folder. Contact a folder admin to get access"  I noticed this first when trying to upload something to Vault on my phone, the phone couldn't access it anymore, then on my desktop.  I can lock Vault and then unlock it fine.  

It appears there is no longer phone support from Dropbox and the nobody was available on chat so they asked me to send an email, which I did.  I need this fixed asap and need some support from Dropbox. Very frustrating.

I'm worried all my most important files are gone!!!

31 Replies 31

jklalusis
New member | Level 2

Yes. The problem still have not been resolved. The chat feature of dropbox support is not very helpful. They just said they'll forward the concern to the team and ended the chat. I also emailed them, no useful reply.

tp503
Explorer | Level 4

My problem has since resolved itself. 

movithst1072
New member | Level 2

im getting the same issues, fine on my laptop but on my pixel it says I don't have access, message the admin for access

also the files I have put into my vault show up fine on my laptop but the same files do not show up on my phone 

mistah_mattg
New member | Level 2

Glad to see its not just me. I've sent an email to the support address, and also sent them a message on their twitter support handle (https://twitter.com/DropboxSupport).

I suggest folks also message them so they understand that this isn't just an isolated issue.

As far as solution, it just looks like you have to wait for it to somehow get unstuck in the fresh loop before you can access any files within the vault...

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hey everyone, thanks for keeping us in the loop and glad to hear that this seems to be resolved!

If anyone is still having issues with this, please don't hesitate to get back to us and let us know.

In the meantime, I hope you all have a great rest of your week! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi everyone, I've merged your posts into this thread.

If you're still experiencing this issue, please could you contact the support team directly for them to investigate this in more detail.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Walk Humongous
Explorer | Level 4

Vault has been a little bit buggy for me still.

Question, is it normal for it to consider Vault a "shared" folder, if I'm not sharing it with anyone?  If I move a file out of Vault and it said says

"Move "2021-03-10 16.37.00.pdf" out of the shared folder "Vault? 

Moving this file to Dropbox will remove it for members of Vault."

This makes me nervous the idea that the Vault is shared when I didn't do that.  There's no quick way on desktop to check if it's shared but I went online and inside Vault it does say "only you have access" which is both comforting and confusing when considering the message above.

CommunityUser
New member | Level 2

I was unable to access my Vault after I created it and added files to it on Oct. 21, 2021. I asked for help from Dropbox support. Their answer sent me off on a tangent to see if it was my security software blocking it.

Then later on, I received an email from support saying my issue was solved, which it wasn’t. I was not able to find anything wrong with my Norton security settings. It was not the reason for the malfunction as far as I can tell.

Today, Nov. 8, 2021, I read instructions for how to delete your Vault. I was so exasperated that Vault was inaccessible with my most important files in it that I was willing to look up how to Delete the Vault. As it turned out, this is how I was finally able to access the Vault.

Here’s what I did that worked for me. Go to the Dropbox website. Be logged in. At the upper right, you’ll see the icon containing your initials. Pull down from it & click Settings. In settings, I had 2 options, Delete Vault or Open. When I clicked Open, I got the popup prompt to enter the Vault PIN & was able to access my Vault.

Now I don’t trust the Vault & will not be using it to store any important files there exclusively. It was not accessible by scrolling down from All Files at the left which are the only instructions I was able to find on accessing it. Every time I went back to try to access it from there, the Vault folder was light colored and labeled No Access. If I scrolled down from the menu at the center of my screen, I had the same result. The only way I was able to access it and get my files back out of there was to choose Open from Settings as I’ve described.

Bckz3828
New member | Level 2
I can access my vault on the computer or web browser but does not work through my iPhone app

Rich
Super User II

@Bckz3828 wrote:
I can access my vault on the computer or web browser but does not work through my iPhone app

You'll need to be more specific. Is the Vault folder shown in your folder list? If so, what happens when you try to access it? Are you getting an error message? Without details about what you're experiencing, we won't know how best to help you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    ss31 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Bckz3828 New member | Level 2
    CommunityUser New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?