cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

latest email from dropbox contains x-webdoc links - that don't work

latest email from dropbox contains x-webdoc links - that don't work

markhutch
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Got an email this morning from Dropbox - subject: "Introducing: Our newest set of tools to simply your life".

The email contains links to various new features ... that are going to simply our lives apparently.

e.g.    x-webdoc://C33115A8-807A-463D-B0AA-ECE1119E84A1/experience.dropbox.com/resources/information-architecture-for-distributed-work?_tk=email&_camp=3216404&_ad=8566dbc5b57a4d3c95d278d1337f7282&utm_source=iter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=us-en&utm_campaign=p1_bb_co_all_pcn_b202111&utm_content=m2_c

email link 

However, I can't find a browser that will open the x-webdoc: protocol.  Anyone else able to do get this to work? I tried Mac/Safari, Mac/Chrome, Windows/Chrome - all without success.

Whatever happened to just straightforward URL links to a specific page?        BTW this is NOT making my life more simply, its complicating it by having to write this forum entry.

Plus ... if you go to your Dropbox account, you CAN add tags to folders and files and search for them. This is good for any new folders/files uploaded. However, it doesn't help with 1,000s of existing folders/files.

AND - for me, I'd have been MUCH happier have a search feature that I could restrict to just folder names or just file names, not 100s of files that CONTAIN part of whatever it is I'm searching for.

So for me, at least, these new features (despite not being able to easily find out about them because of the x-webdoc based link) STILL does not provide a simple search feature for folders and/or files.    Another reason I won't be renewing my subscription next September, unless things improve.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @markhutch, thanks for contacting us.

Try entering this URL to see what is on that link.

We appreciate the feedback you've provided about the Dropbox service for searching for files.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @markhutch, thanks for contacting us.

Try entering this URL to see what is on that link.

We appreciate the feedback you've provided about the Dropbox service for searching for files.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

justinbenz451
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I received an email from Dropbox introducing their latest set of tools to simplify our lives, but I can't open the links provided in the email. The x-webdoc protocol doesn't seem to be supported by any browser. It's making things more complicated instead of simpler. Also, the search Latest feature only works for new folders and files, not for the existing ones. It would have been better if there was an option to search for either folder names or file names only. I'm not satisfied with these new features and may not renew my subscription.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @justinbenz451, thanks for posting here today! 

We really appreciate your feedback on this and rest assured that your comments will be passed along to our team.

With the links, you should be able to get to the right place, if you replace "x-webdoc://[Alphanumeric string]/" with "https://".

I hope this helps.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    justinbenz451 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?