cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Finder integration breaks Quick Look and thumbnails - Mac OS Mojave 10.14

Dropbox Finder integration breaks Quick Look and thumbnails - Mac OS Mojave 10.14

Andrew D.4
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

For the past few months I've been having issues with image previews not loading on my Mac in Quick Look, Finder previews or icon thumbnails. I have experienced the problem on both Mac OS High Sierra and Mojave. My colleagues also seem to be experiencing the same issue.

Screenshot 2018-10-01 at 14.08.04.pngI finally took the time this week to figure out what is causing the issue. As far as I can tell the problem is caused by Dropbox Finder integration. As soon as I turned off Dropbox finder integration (and restart the machine) file previews and Quick Look work perfectly.

For now I'm keeping Dropbox Finder integration turned off - I'm a designer and image previews are incredibly useful.  I'd prefer to be able to enable Dropbox Finder integration as the sync status icons are useful. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If anyone else is experiencing this issue still, please could you reach out to our support team directly in order for them to investigate this matter further.

Feel free to attach a link to this thread as well in your email to the team.

Thanks in advance!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

48 Replies 48

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Andrew, we’re sorry to hear about this. 

Are you experiencing this on any file in your Dropbox account? Do you have a private personal account, or are you a member in a Dropbox Business team? Does this apply to both accounts or just one?

Any further info you can provide would be great!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

beniherb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I upgraded to Mojave today and had this same problem as you. I found your post while looking for a solution; I tried what you did "turned off dropbox finder integration" and restarted my computer, it fixed the problem.

Just for giggles, I then turned dropbox finder integration back on, and restarted my computer, and Quick Look kept working properly.  You should try it to see if it fixes your problem.

twenty3design
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Since updating Mac OS to Mojave the quicklook preview and file previews no longer work.

I've tracked down the problem the the DropboxQL.qlgenerator ...if I delete that, then it works better, but not perfectly.

Anyone esle having this problem?

Thanks.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @twenty3design, I moved your thread here along with other users experiencing the same issue.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

twenty3design
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thank you!

drrrrn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having this same issue and have been for about a year now. Can confirm that removing the Dropbox-Finder integration and restarting fixes it completely.

The issue (for me) is not seen on an account level, but rather affects files system-wide - with no icon previews of files on my desktop or in any Finder window (they all default to the generic JPG, PDF, PNG, etc. icons built into macOS) as well as QuickLook not loading previews, either. Note: I do have both a personal and business account connected, and from my testing having one or both connected does not seem to improve or worsen this bug.

Device details: I am having this issue on a 2016 15" MBP running 10.14 Mojave. This is my work laptop and has plenty of processor, memory, SSD storage space, etc. I have a personal 2012 15" MBP running 10.14 Mojave as well - with much less processing power, memory, and a slower HDD - with these same issues, yet when I unistall Dropbox it seems like a much faster machine than my newer work laptop.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance 🙂

McPete
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the exact same problem with a Late 2013 MBP. Turned off Dropbox Finder integration and it fixed the problem. It was driving me nuts. Never realise how much I use Quicklook until it was gone.

Wish I had found this earlier, wasted an hour chatting with Apple support with no fix (realising now it's a Dropbox issue and not an Apple one).

THNKM_01
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same problem :upside_down:

Since I upgraded to OS Mojave (10.14 (18A391)) , Finder doesn't load thumbnails of files when I have Dropbox running. The preview is also not displayed.

My iMac: iMac (Retina 5K, 27 ", late 2014)

3,5 GHz Intel Core i5 // 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Soo hard to work with this thing....

THNKM_01
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In my case the problem if you have activated this option happens with all files, not just Dropbox. With all of them.

I've also been checking that the CPU usage increases a lot and makes the Mac slow down.

When working with the option disabled, you don't see which files are online and which are not (Working with Intelligent Synchronization). I have a company account and it is very annoying for the day to day.

Do you know a solution? 

Captura de pantalla 2018-10-18 09.39.28.pngCaptura de pantalla 2018-10-17 13.39.00.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

andrebetz New member | Level 2
    evatar New member | Level 2
    nick314 New member | Level 2
    WesHoover New member | Level 2
    goddardrj New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?