cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Dropbox needs to change permissions" message on startup

"Dropbox needs to change permissions" message on startup

Rachel R.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Lately, every time I start my Mac (OS 10.14.6) I get a message that reads (in full): 

"Dropbox needs to change permissions for the Folder: /Users/[name]/Dropbox

Enter your password to allow this"

(I would attach a screenshot here but I can't figure out how.)

I enter the password and all is well, but it happens Every. Single. Time. I start my computer. After checking here for ideas, I checked for symlinks (there are none) and reinstalled Dropbox (so I am now running the latest version), but that has not helped at all. What now?

58 Replies 58

JosefC
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

yes, of course (to both)

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @JosefC, apologies for the delay in getting back to you here!

So we can look into this further with you, it would be best to continue to look into this through our Support channel.

If you haven't already, please reach out to our Support team from here. You'll receive a ticket number (eg. #1234567) which you can let me know here so that I can pass along the info you've provided here already.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

FreddoArgento
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ignorant me, is $USER a "wildcard" or I need to type my user, with or without $ in front?

As it is, copy pasted line by line, did not work.....

FreddoArgento
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I tried these too.

I am dragging the folder name from Finder into Dropbox to avoid typos. But its is the standatd location, anyhow. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @FreddoArgento,

First when you comment something, clarify what exactly you have been comenthing, so to be more clear what you are talking about. Doesn't matter where you touch "Reply", your text will go at the end every time!

@FreddoArgento wrote:

... is $USER a "wildcard" or I need to type my user, ...

When you type a $ symbol on a command line the name, sticked next to this symbol, represent particular shell environment variable. This is NOT wildcard! There is a set of environment variables preset by the system which could be used in user commands or shell scripts, when convenient. You can see available preset variables using the "env" command, all together. 😉

The variable with name USER keeps inside the login name of your account. You can see what's inside using following:

echo $USER

The $ symbol is a special sign, for most environment shells, making a referral to the particular variable (i.e. $USER will get replaced with your login name). You can use your login name directly, of course. Here $USER is used as a convenience - different users have different login names - $USER always refers to them correctly ( if not explicitly changed! ). That's it.

Hope this clarifies matter.

If something goes wrong, despite of above, post in you next reply what you have typed on the command line and the corresponding result all together.

Good luck.

mcarter
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

I have recently turned on Dropbox Backup (for home and desktop folders) and am now getting the permissions request message "Dropbox needs to change permiossions for the Folder: /Users/drmarkcarter/Dropbox" (twice) after each restart. I tried the following terminal commands:

sudo chflags -R noschg "/Users/$USER/Dropbox"
sudo chflags -R nouchg "/Users/$USER/Dropbox"
sudo chown -R "$USER" "/Users/$USER/Dropbox"
chmod -R u+rw "/Users/$USER/Dropbox"

The first two commands run fine but for the third and fourth I receive the following error messages:

chown: /Users/drmarkcart/Dropbox/My Mac (Mark-Carters-Macbook-Retina-3.local)/Desktop/Incompatible Software/qmasterd: Operation not permitted

chmod: Unable to change file mode on /Users/drmarkcart/Dropbox/My Mac (Mark-Carters-Macbook-Retina-3.local)/Desktop/Incompatible Software/qmasterd: Operation not permitted

Any suggestions?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@mcarter wrote:

chown: /Users/drmarkcart/Dropbox/My Mac (Mark-Carters-Macbook-Retina-3.local)/Desktop/Incompatible Software/qmasterd: Operation not permitted

Hi @mcarter,

That's strange. Are you sure you have typed the command correctly? i.e. you haven't skipped the leading "sudo" and the command is:

but not something like:

chown -R "$USER" "/Users/$USER/Dropbox"

🤔

Can you post the result of following commands:

ls -ld "/Users/drmarkcart/Dropbox/My Mac (Mark-Carters-Macbook-Retina-3.local)/Desktop/Incompatible Software/qmasterd"
id

🧐 Hope result will shed some light.

PS: By the way, as the issue seems come from "backup" folders, you can try turn your "Computer Backup" feature off and (if you wish) turn on at the end. Take a look on part "Turn off computer backup" (near the topic end) and at point 6 select "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac", not "Leave content in Dropbox".

Let's hope this twisting will do the trick for you. 😉

mcarter
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

That's strange. Are you sure you have typed the command correctly? i.e. you haven't skipped the leading "sudo" and the command is:

but not something like:

chown -R "$USER" "/Users/$USER/Dropbox"

🤔

Thanks for the response.

I have tried the commands a couple of times and have copied them into Terminal so sudo was included.

ls -ld "/Users/drmarkcart/Dropbox/My Mac (Mark-Carters-Macbook-Retina-3.local)/Desktop/Incompatible Software/qmasterd"
id

The result was:

uid=501(drmarkcart) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff),12(everyone),61(localaccounts),80(admin),98(_lpadmin),702(com.apple.sharepoint.group.2),701(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1),33(_appstore),100(_lpoperator),204(_developer),250(_analyticsusers),395(com.apple.access_ftp),398(com.apple.access_screensharing),399(com.apple.access_ssh),400(com.apple.access_remote_ae)
[192-168-1-152:~] drmarkcart%

PS: By the way, as the issue seems come from "backup" folders, you can try turn your "Computer Backup" feature off and (if you wish) turn on at the end. Take a look on part "Turn off computer backup" (near the topic end) and at point 6 select "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac", not "Leave content in Dropbox".

Let's hope this twisting will do the trick for you. 😉

Turning off the Backup feature fixed the problem on the next boot.

I think I may have found the issue. I noticed that I had a OneDrive folder in my Documents folder, which was part of the Dropbox backup. Turning off OneDrive and deleting the OneDrive folder appeared to fix the issue - when I turned Dropbox backup on again and rebooted, I was not asked for my password. 

I have tried to delete the qmasterd file that resides in the Incompatible Software folder on my desktop. It can't be deleted via putting it in the trash (file in use error).

mcarter
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I spoke too soon. Fix was only temporary. Back to requiring entry of password twice on each restart. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@mcarter wrote:

id

The result was:

uid=501(drmarkcart) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff),12(everyone),61(localaccounts),80(admin),98(_lpadmin),702(com.apple.sharepoint.group.2),701(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1),33(_appstore),100(_lpoperator),204(_developer),250(_analyticsusers),395(com.apple.access_ftp),398(com.apple.access_screensharing),399(com.apple.access_ssh),400(com.apple.access_remote_ae)
[192-168-1-152:~] drmarkcart%

Hi @mcarter,

You haven't posted results of both commands, but only the second command's result! Actual state (file's basic attributes) could be seen from the first command's result. So can you post the result of:

Could be useful to be known also the containing folder' attributes, i.e. result of:

ls -ld "/Users/drmarkcart/Dropbox/My Mac (Mark-Carters-Macbook-Retina-3.local)/Desktop/Incompatible Software"

@mcarter wrote:

... I noticed that I had a OneDrive folder in my Documents folder, which was part of the Dropbox backup. ...

It's never good idea to have 2 or more sync services operating on same place (directory/file)! Such a combination generally could work, but there are corner cases where unexpected and difficult to predict issues could rise up. So better avoid such a usage. Some more competitive services have features let them cooperate with their competitors (pCloud, for example) using a well defined manner. As far as I know neither OneDrive nor Dropbox support any way of cooperation between them directly in a safe manner! Be careful.

@mcarter wrote:

I have tried to delete the qmasterd file that resides in the Incompatible Software folder on my desktop. It can't be deleted via putting it in the trash (file in use error).

Some info could comes up with mentioned commands' results above. If the "file in use error" is getting up, check whether you have opened the file in some way (either with handling program or loaded indirectly somehow).

@mcarter wrote:

I spoke too soon. Fix was only temporary. Back to requiring entry of password twice on each restart.

What you mean "Fix" here? 🧐 Is it the turning off of backup... and everything back when you turned it on, or something else? I can't figure out of your description, is the problem gets back while you have turned off the backup feature or after that (i.e. is everything stable in that time or not). Can you clarify (repeat the "exercise", if needed)?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

uzer123 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Samsam Explorer | Level 4
    jorn Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?