cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't save Excel files on Android

can't save files from Office365-app to Dropbox - supposedly write protected

DieBaum
Helpful | Level 5

Hello there!

Starting yesterday all of a sudden I can't save files to my Dropbox via the Office 365-app anymore. I get a message telling me that the file is write protected, which it isn't. It tells me to save a copy, when trying to do that I get the same error message.
Up until the day before yesterday everything worked like a charm. I haven't knowingly changed anything about my smartphone's configuration, no new apps etc.
Had anyone ever experienced this issue?
Any ideas on how to solve it?
Thank you!

Andy

139 Replies 139

Suept
New member | Level 2

I have this feeling that the problem happened once before then just resolved itself, so perhaps there has been some unforeseen change in an update.

THigh
Explorer | Level 4

Hey,

When I try saving a DOCX or any other file on Android from the MS Office Apps (Excel, Powerpoint, Word) inside my dropbox (Android App as well), I always get :

can´t edit this file is read-only. To edit it save a copy of file.

(also saved "locally" and then into dropbox same again.....)

If I save it under any other disk space or cloud service no problems at all.

Lik one week ago i could save like that in Dropbox without problems, it is really anoying if that is not wirking any more.....
Actually in that case the whole tablet and dropbox is a bit useless for me....
The bug has to be somewhere inside the integration between the Apps on my Android device.
The MS Office Apps workes fine, and dropbox on every other device as well....

Any suggestions where the bug is?
or how I can solve this?
Are there similar cases?

Thank you for your time, and a quit nice day to everybody,
Best
TH

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @THigh, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Would you mind describing the exact steps you follow until you get to the point of the error message?

Which Android OS version are you running and which version of the Dropbox app do you have installed?

Any additional info would also be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

THHigh
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I answear under another Name but I opened this Post as THigh, so do not be confused.

The sorting of the Picture is hopefully right...

So reprudaction of the error, saving a document under the Dropbox account, the Massage bar (see one Picutre) pops up and no chance to save the Document inside Dropbox. After re-opening Word, and saving another document, then there are files backuped (see Picture "Files that need your attention)..

All other is commented under the Pictures.
I hope that helps.

Versions
Android OS
Android™ 12 (will receive Android™ 13 in 2023)
Code of actual system update TB125FU_S000160_230227_ROW
Tablet Lenovo
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/tablets/android-tablets/lenovo-tab-series/lenovo-tab-m10-plus-gen-3/l...
Word latest update!
Dropbox latest update!

Thank you for the response,
Best regards,
TH

by the next openening of Word, these unsave files are backuped automatically by word, and then in Read only mode, i never had that before.by the next openening of Word, these unsave files are backuped automatically by word, and then in Read only mode, i never had that before.
Saving under One Drive works, if i go the same way on the Dropbox, thenSaving under One Drive works, if i go the same way on the Dropbox, theni get this massage and cannot save into Dropboxi get this massage and cannot save into Dropbox

Suept
New member | Level 2

Further update.

Open and edit the file in Dropbox, then Save As to OneDrive.

It seems to work that way round. 

I remember having to do this with Office 365 some time ago, then it seemed to resolve itself. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the update and the screenshots, @THHigh.

Are you having this issue only with specific files or all your MS Office files?

Are the files currently in a shared or in a private folder in Dropbox?

And if you open the Dropbox app and tap on the (+) icon, are you able to upload the files that way?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Enrico62
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Everybody

Since yesterday i am not able to save file from excel to dropbox. The files was storage on dropobox , I open them with excel , work on them and when I save on dropbox  a Message on excell says : " the file cannot be uploaded. there is a problem and the changes cannot be loaded". The some file I can upload on Onedrive or other place.

The system is android 13 , excel365 

Thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Enrico62, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Just for clarification, could you confirm the exact steps you take when opening and editing the app on your mobile device? Are you opening the Dropbox mobile app, and then tapping the Excel file to open in Excel, or are you trying to use Excel first to open the file?

Are all the apps on the latest version?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Enrico62
Explorer | Level 4

Yes dropbox and excel for mobile are both the latest version. It happens to me both on the S8+ 8 Gb Ram tablet and on the Note 20 12 Gb Ram mobile phone.

The file is storage on Dropbox, I view it, click on "open with" , open with excel , then edit it.

Then I go to "save as" , I look on dropbox for the location to put it click on "save"and  the message appears.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Would you mind sending us a screenshot of the error message, @Enrico62?

Can you also, uninstall Dropbox and the Excel app, restart your device and reinstall them, to see if that helps?

Just keep in mind, that if you're on a free Basic account and you have more than 3 devices linked to your account, if you uninstall and then reinstall, you won't be able to sign in to the Dropbox app, unless you unlink a device.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?