cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Access due to 2FA and old email with no access

Lost Access due to 2FA and old email with no access

KBro67
Explorer | Level 4

I've been using a password app with a dropbox sync feature. For years, I've been using an old email as the username because it was just the username to me.  While I had connected with a PC when I was first doing password syncing, eventually I just went all-mobile ... and somewhere in there the move to mandated MFA seems to have gone into effect.  I only noticed this due to a recent phone upgrade. After reestablishing the paid feature in the app to do the dropbox sync - I couldn't connect because it locks me into needing an emailed code after I authenticate. 

I don't have that email (old job), and never setup a phone or backup codes as far as I know since I was not using the account that way.  I know the password, and can change the email once in but cannot get in. There's not a lot of data in my account - how I do get to it; or ensure that the account/data is destroyed? (I found a "work around" since I still had two devices with active connections through the app and could copy them off).

Thanks for any help or guidance. 

10 Replies 10

KBro67
Explorer | Level 4

...and I appear to have noticed a security issue. A very curious occurrence indeed.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @KBro67, thanks for messaging the Community.

I’d recommend getting in contact with our support team directly to look into this matter in more detail.

You can do this by opening an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into your account, and accessing this link

From there you should be able to contact support. Make sure to pick an email to which you can receive and send emails from.

Keep me updated with any progress.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

KBro67
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Jay, I'll try that.

The apparent issue seems to perhaps be a cache feature in the app used (from the restored app, that wasn't visible until any valid dropbox id was authenticated).  

Rich
Super User II

@KBro67 wrote:

... and somewhere in there the move to mandated MFA seems to have gone into effect.  I only noticed this due to a recent phone upgrade.

That's why you're being asked for a one-time security code; Dropbox doesn't recognize your device. Two-step verification wasn't enabled on to your account (unless you enabled it). Dropbox simply sees a new device being added to your account and to verify that it's really you, it's asking you to provide a one-time security code.

KBro67
Explorer | Level 4

Rich,

I haven't enabled it. Haven't been on any thick client since circa 2007, so I'm unsure how that would have happened - and if I have a phone on it, those numbers haven't changed since that time -- but nothing is giving an option to send a code there: just that it has been emailed and sent to any enrolled devices (does that mean text to mobile or call to other numbers listed?)  It doesn't seem so because mobile has nothing coming in nor does the voice line. I have one of the tickets open as per Jay, hopefully they can help more and review the settings -- history, etc.  While I get the fraud concern, someone there could see details of logins attempted from the same location on thick/web client where the sync logins are coming from......location is an other factor -- how do I enable that?

Mark
Super User II

Hi @KBro67 

As Rich said you havent enabled it. This is not 2FA. You cannot set this up on your account it is a security tool Dropbox has set up on ALL accounts. It is not possible to turn this off and on. 

The only people who can possibly help are via the ticket. Note, however, that often you cannot regain access if you have lost access to your email. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

KBro67
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, Mark.

I get that...it is just unfortunate that if there is no other method to verify the account (no mobile had been set, etc.) that some leeway in permitting a login via the valid credentials should be permitted to update the account so that 2FA could be permitted. As you note, they put it on all accounts, but also put which other factor(s) are supported.  I'll see if someone from Jay's link can help or not. Here's hoping for the best!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @KBro67, wishing you a great Monday ahead. 

If you ended up reaching out via email to our Support team, feel free to send me the ticket number reference, in order for me to locate it on our system. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

KBro67
Explorer | Level 4

HI @Megan,

I don't see a way to PM, so I'm presuming just paste it here.  It is case 233-66-108 and I now see an email on it that I need to reply to. I'm going to do that now and see what the next step is.

Thanks.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    KBro67 Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?