cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications on my computer of SMS backups being downloaded and opened

Notifications on my computer of SMS backups being downloaded and opened

Racquels
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, my computer has been giving me dropbox notifications all arvo, that sms's I have backed up to dropbox are being downloaded and opened, but that certainly isn't the case on my computer.  I have tried changing my password, setting up 2 way authentication, disabling devices that are old, and checking security on my computer however the notifications keep coming.  I am not sure why, as this has never happened before.  I am worried I have been hacked, and if so, how do I fix the issue?  Or is this normal, and perhaps I haven't witnessed it before?  I would love to hear others understanding of this issue.... please....Thank you very much.

9 Replies 9

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Racquels, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you clarify how SMS messages are being backed up onto your device? Is this via a third party app?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Racquels
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay, I back up using an app called SMS Backup and Restore

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info. Regarding the notification that the files were being accessed and downloaded, can you provide any more information on exactly what the messages said, and where? 

A screenshot of this would help greatly.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Racquels
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I am sorry for the late reply.  The issue is still occurring. Basically, a small Dropbox notification pops up above the task bar of my computer saying that a certain file is being downloaded.  The file is an SMS with a date (2017 and today up to 2018), which are my SMS backups.  I have attached a screen shot.

I have changed my dropbox password and the password for the associated email.  Thank you for your help.

Slide1.JPG

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Racquels, sorry to jump in here and thanks for the screenshot!

What this notification means is that these files that you're backing up to Dropbox are getting downloaded to your computer.

Since you're using the Dropbox application on this computer, any files that you add to your account from other devices or dropbox.com, will sync to the computer as well.

If you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your system tray, it should tell you that it's "Downloading.." and should give you a time frame for how long this process will take.

Once syncing is finished, these files should appear in a folder named "Dropbox" in your file explorer, along with your other Dropbox files.

P.S. I don't see the Dropbox icon in your screenshot, so to see it, you might need to click on the arrow that has your hidden icons.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Racquels
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah

Thank you for your response.

I realize the SMS backup syncs with the computer.  

It's just that the backup is automatically set for around 1am in the morning, and the pop-up notifications are noticed by me during the day.  And the file name that the pop up says is downloading, is not a 2023 backup. 

It's backups that already exists in my sms backup files in dropbox, dating back a few years that appear to be downloading.  But they are already synced to my computer.  

If I search the sync list in the dropbox system tray, (Sync History and Activity Tabs) the SMS backup file that is shown in the pop-up notification isn't listed there.  

So you see, I feel confused and concerned.

Regards

Rachel 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the update here, Rachel.

I understand your confusion, so let's see what we can find out about this.

Are the files that appear to be getting downloaded usually set to "online-only"?

If so, is it possible that any third party apps are trying to access those files? E.g. an antivirus, other backup services, or other third party apps that monitor files?

This would explain why the files are getting downloaded without you doing so.

Next time this happens, can you open your task manager, to see what apps are running at the time and try closing some, to see if that helps with the issue?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Racquels
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah,

My apologies for taking so long to respond. We have been away. I didn't have most files set to "online only" when I first asked my question.  I have all of my files set to "online only" now though.  I'll scour the task manager as you suggested.  I think the fact that the pop up sometimes says the files are downloaded and being opened has probably left me feeling very unsure of what is going on, as under the activity tab, they are not listed.

Thanks again for your help.  I will let you know if I uncover any third-party apps in the task manager. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Racquels, could you try signing out of the app, and then back in?

I can definitely see where you're coming from, but if you took all the necessary measures, such as changing the password etc. you should be covered. Sometimes it could be a simple re-indexing of the files, or as Hannah mentioned a third-party app accessing these files. 

In any case, keep an eye on it, and let us know how this goes!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Racquels Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?