cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong date format in email notiifcations despite settings

Wrong date format in email notiifcations despite settings

Eildh
Explorer | Level 3

The date format is set to DD-MM-YYYY in my preferences, but Dropbox emails are arrving in a completely different format with the month and day inverted.

4.jpg

I know MM-DD-YYY is used in the US, but in the UK and Europe this is incorrect for numerical dates, and when it's not obvious that the day couldn't also be a month (e.g. 03/31/2023), the problem isn't always detectable and can cause problems (meeting dates is the common issue). When reading the email below, I actually assumed Dropbox was informing me about outdated changes from Jan/Feb and that my desktop app had some kind of sync problem.

3.jpg

Regarding what solutions I've tried from similar threads: my Dropbox language is 'non-US' English, my timezone is the one for London, my computer's region is set to UK, and its timezone is also for London. I've also cleared my browser cache etc etc, but doubt any of this will affect how Dropbox notification emails are being sent. So has anyone got any other suggestions? Will try anything at this point.

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Eildh, thanks for posting on our Community and happy Friday.

May I ask if this happens with all of the email notifications you get about the activity in your shared folders? 

Also, are those folders owned by you or someone else?

Any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Eildh
Explorer | Level 3
Afraid I don't have recent emails for other folders, but this particular folder is owned by another user and I've no idea what date format they use. I assume this is the likely issue?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Eildh, could you try switching your date to another format, like YYYY - MM - DD, leave it like that for a few seconds, and then switch it back to DD/MM/YY and let us know how it goes the next time you get an email?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Eildh
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, sorry for the delay~

I travelled for work and had no internet access so didn't change the date format, but on return, I found that incoming Dropbox notification emails are now showing the correct date format for all shared folders, including the one in the initial post. So basically I've done nothing and it seems to have sorted itself out (somehow)... 😕

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Eildh, thanks for the update here.

I'm happy to see that the issue resolved itself, but if you come across it again, do let us know.

Thanks and have a great day!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Eildh Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?