cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open PDF files with new beta on my mac

Can't open PDF files with new beta on my mac

BJN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Issue is that the file info says open with Dropbox, not Adobe. If I change back to Adobe then it opens. (Or if I open it from inside Adobe.) But I have hundreds of PDFs that now have the wrong app to open them. Wouldn't be a problem if they opened using Dropbox, but they don't. I can change open with info on each file, but that would be a huge pain. I checked the box to say change open with info for similar files, but it didn't have any impact.

58 Replies 58

iandol
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Emmet â€” the proposed fix aims to solve the problem with the "Open with" applications. However the remaining problem is that the quarantine bit is set so that many files become "from an unindentified developer..." — why are you not suggesting to use the same fix but for quarantine metadata?

e.g. 

xattr -drv com.apple.quarantine ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

?

terrabella
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I can change files on a file-by-file basis. This wasn't a problem until I ungraded to beta version of Dropbox. Not sure what you mean by changing computer's (mac) settings.

plopez12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the exact same issue with my new laptop. 

bluemigrant
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@iandol 

This problem is annoying and no one of dropbox gives the solution

iandol
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Well, this is probably par for the course from a corporate entity. Many of us have problems, and it seems there is a disconnect between the developers and the QA / customer support teams. The fact I am using a beta means I bear some responsibility, though the fact we are still in beta for basic support of Apple's latest OS and changes that were announced several years ago says something pretty dire about Dropbox management. I understand it is hard for indie developers to keep up with Apple, but this shouldn't apply to behemoths like Dropbox. The response to these particular bugs is patchy at best, mostly these threads are users who are motivated enough to complain (there will be a greater sea of users who just sit confused and manage the best they can). We have some generic canned replies and then some incomplete potential workarounds. It amazes me they suggested the xattrs fix for one problem (which works for me at least) but then just ignored the other and cannot even feedback if we should try or not. Surely this kind of joined up thinking is not that hard?

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your patience in this matter. A fix was recently pushed through for this issue, and it should no longer be affecting your devices. If you are still experiencing this issue after you've updated your Dropbox, please let us know. We will need to investigate further.  

Regards,

Emmet 

BJN
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Didn't work. Got permission denied error.

barrynalebuff@SOMC02D42LHML85 ~ % xattr -drv com.apple.LaunchServices.OpenWith ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/barrynalebuff/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox/My Mac (Barrys-MacBook-Pro.local)/Desktop/`.nosync'

bluemigrant
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I got this error as well.

radical_exponent
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

Let me try to level-set on what our understanding of the problem is and where we're at, solution-wise:

* When migrating from an existing 12.3+ install of Dropbox to the new Dropbox for macOS, any files that were Online Only prior to the migration had a "com.apple.LaunchServices.OpenWith" xattr that stores a setting telling the OS to open the file with Dropbox. This xattr was part of our existing implementation of Download on Demand.

* When users double-click a file with this xattr, depending on the exact circumstances, they could see: (1) nothing, (2) .docx/.pptx/etc files opening in the web browser rather than the native app, or (3) receiving a scary warning dialog about an unidentified developer.

* We're now removing these xattrs as part of the migration to the new Dropbox for macOS. This was fixed as of version 166 - so new users migrating/upgrading after that release shouldn't see this issue.

* We've also deployed a fix in 165 that should fix the symptoms for most existing users, by making sure our app responds correctly to open requests. The xattr should be removed from files for you as you interact with them (e.g. double-click).

* There are a small remaining set of users where this fix doesn't work, who will need to manually remove the OpenWith xattr

As posted previously, the command to do this is:

xattr -drv com.apple.LaunchServices.OpenWith "~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox"

(adjusting appropriately in case your Dropbox folder has a different name - e.g. "Dropbox (Personal)")

Some users reported that running this command via the Terminal app ran into a Permission Denied error. We believe this is likely caused by Terminal not having permission to read/write files in your Dropbox. This is a built-in protection in macOS, designed to protect your data from malware on the machine.

In order to temporarily bypass this protection, you can go to (apple menu, top left) -> System Settings, then look for the "Privacy and Security" section, then "Full Disk Access", click the "+" in the list (authenticate if prompted), navigate to /Applications/Utilities/ in the file open dialog that pops up, click "Terminal.app" and then click Open.

After that, you'll need to quit and re-launch Terminal, and re-run the "xattr -drv ..." command mentioned above. That should hopefully work correctly now.

When you're done, you can optionally remove the additional permissions granted to Terminal.

Please let me know if you encounter any issues with that!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

radical_exponent Dropbox Staff
    bluemigrant Helpful | Level 5
    BJN Explorer | Level 4
    Emmet Community Manager
    iandol Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?