cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Couldn't upload" file error message (but the files sometimes does)

Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename

Dimples
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Recently all of my computer with Dropbox have started showing a sync error "Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename. e.g. emojis, /\"<>:|?*"

The problem filename isn't shown, the "Go to File" link just takes me to the root directory of my drive, and I obviously can't search for those bad characters.  How do I find this file to solve the sync issue?

Screenshot 2022-05-15 07.34.56.png

164 Replies 164

AlexSzatmary
Explorer | Level 4

I'm having this same problem. I'm changing from an Intel Mac running macOS 12.6.3 to an Arm Mac running macOS 13.5. Dropbox synced the files to the new machine. I then pushed a button to change the storage location from home to CloudStorage, so the File Provider API is now being used. I had not noticed these sync issues earlier and the old Mac is not reporting any of these sync issues. I wonder if the issue is tied to the File Provider API.

Some sample "incompatible" filenames include,

• .mainrel.f.swp
  • Schedule 2017-fall.graffle.sb-75449bd4-4pTIjt
  • ratchet.py~

None of those should be "incompatible;" it's fine to end a filename with a ~ or have multiple .'s in a filename.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @AlexSzatmary, sorry to hear about this.

I just wanted to mention that periods should not be used in file names as they could result in errors or they won't be synced at all. For more information, you can have a look here.

I hope this helps a tad. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

AlexSzatmary
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter, I mean that those are ordinarily legal filenames. I recognize that Dropbox does not currently handle them but I think it should. I routinely use filenames like confection2-decay_F-vary_gamma_E-r_L0.1phi_E1.00gamma_E1.00e-01.pdf and that particular file even does sync properly on Dropbox.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for your feedback on this @AlexSzatmary - let me know if you have anything else to add. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Arkadiy K.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I am a developer, and one of the programs that I use requires me to have filenames like ".pve-ignore.ifcfg-eth0" (the program required me to add a ".pve-ignore." prefix to the files that should be ignored by the program).

Dropbox normally uploads and downloads these files from my computer, however, they are still showing up in "Sync issues".

What is the problem here?

Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 18.13.40.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Arkadiy K., thanks for joining the discussion here.

Those dots in the filenames must be the culprit here. You can have a look at this Help Center article for more information about naming your files in Dropbox. 

Hope this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

nomadism
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I've basically given up on this issue as if feels like dropbox support doesn't seem to really understand the issue here. I - among others who have raised this issue - are fully aware of what dropbox recommends to put and not put in file names. I really wish dropbox could stop leading us to that same help article. 

What I want to know why dropbox says there are "sync errors" when there are not. Maybe initially there is an issue - hence the sync error message - but in the end, dropbox DOES upload those **bleep** files. So why is dropbox sending "false" sync errors messages, when eventually there isn't such an issue? 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@nomadism 

because there is a sync issue - it may not sync to other devices and/or stop syncing on those devices. There is a reason they are detected and its to stop data loss and corruption not just on your machine but any others connected to it including shares. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Arkadiy K.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Hi !

I believe that the error message should be adjusted. Instead of “could not download” (which is incorrect, as the file did download to my computer), there should be a warning instead - “this file might not correctly sync to other devices, but is still stored in your Dropbox account”

nomadism
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Um, no. Your comment, @Mark, indicates that this issue is not fully understood by many people here. 

The screen shot that we - people who are raising these issues - are very specific "sync errors" even though they are simply labelled as a broad "sync error." The error message says that dropbox could not download (or in my case, upload) the file(s), but in the end the files are uploaded / downloaded without errors. 

So the sync error isn't simply saying that there might be a problem, as your comments suggests. The error message specifies what the problem is, but in the end the stated "problem" doesn't occur and actually self-corrects. 

That's why I had given up even raising - Dropbox repeats the same answer without addressing what the real issue is. 

Need more support?